Sunday, August 14, 2022

Books, Books Books - Sunday Salon - Week in Review


Share your week by posting a link on Deb's Blog HERE



Hello Everyone - How was your week?  The best news of the week here was that the heat and humidity is gone and enjoying AC off and windows open; now a reason to be outside more.  Hope everyone had a great week. 

READING (finished this week) - I finished (4) books this week and loved them all. I've reviewed all except Stephen King's September release which I will review closer to release date in September. All (4) books were very different and I liked/loved them all....how often does that happen? All highly recommended.

Small Things Like These; Claire Keegan - 5/5 stars

Godspeed; Nickolas Butler - 4.5/5 stars

The Family Remains; Lisa Jewell - 4/5 stars
(review coming soon - such talent what a story)
4.5/5 stars - very good

(3)  New book additions from Library Ongoing Book Sale (just 25 cents each!.
  1. The Tattooist of Auschwicz; Heather Morris
  2. The House of Whispers; Laura Purcell
  3. Manhattan Beach; Jennifer Egan
(New Book Arrivals from Publishers)

Wish You Were Gone; Kieran Scott
(thank you Gallery Books)

The 6:20 Man; David Baldacci
(Thank you Grand Central Publishing)

The Presidents Daughter; James Patterson & Bill Clinton 
(thank you Grand Central Publishing)

(Library Books - checked out)
  1. The Custom of the Country; Edith Wharton (audio download) (current read)
  2.  The Messy Lives of Book People; Phaedra Patrick (hardcover)
  3. The Ambush of Widows; Jeff Abbot (playaway audiobook)
  4. The Midnight Library; Matt Haig (reread for book group)
  5. The Disinvited Guest; Carol Goodman
  6. The Power of Regret: How Looking Backward Moves Us forward; Daniel Pink (current read)
  7. The Reservoir; David Duchovny
Have a good week all!

28 comments:

  1. It's a rare week when I greatly enjoy all the books I finish. Those weeks are the best. I'm glad you had such a week. Happily, I was able to find Small Things Like These and it should be available soon.

    It's cooled off here, too, and we are enjoying sitting on the front porch in the evenings. The humidity? Well, that almost never changes, so I just accept it for what it is!

    Have a great week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, glad you've had a break in the heat as well. It helps even if you still have some humidity. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. It's still so hot over here! I can't wait to go outside more, but it's really not too fun to be outside, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the older I get the more I dislike the heat, at least I can do layers in winter.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have a week full of books you loved! I’ve read The Tattooist and enjoyed it immensely! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by ans so happy to read that you enjoyed The Tattooist of A. It has been on my list of TBR's for a while and I was more than happy to find a like new copy for just 25 cents. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Lisa Jewell and have just gotten the digital copy of her latest book. As soon as I am done with Lessons through Chemistry I will start it. Did not know Stephen King had another book out. I was never a horror fan but have very much enjoyed 11/22/63 and Billy Summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, this is a milder Stephen King and in some ways reminded me of the style of 11/22/63 - from what I recall of that one as I read it when it was first released.

      Delete
  6. Those sound really good. I've not heard of that one by Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read The President's Daughter, which I enjoyed (as long as you know the type of book it is going in). Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hadn't realized you read that one. I'm not a James Patterson fan any longer but, I am curious.

      Delete
  8. The heat has eased off here too. It's in the 60's now (albeit a bit rainy) but I'm loving this little reprieve. :)

    I like the look of Lisa Jewell's latest...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm intrigued by the Keegan book; a five-star read is rare. Adding it to my list. I enjoyed the Jennifer Egan and Matt Haig books and hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the writing style of the Keegan book. As for the Haig book, I read it and thought it was okay - my book group is reading it so I'll do a refresher perhaps and see if I like it any better this time.

      Delete
  10. With the wonderful weather you are experiencing I hope you are outdoors reading and enjoying your day! Send some of those cool temps my way, will you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great week of reading you had! We are enjoying some cooler weather too. It has been great to turn the AC off for a few days. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen, glad you had a break from the AC for a bit as well; nice change for sure.

      Delete
  12. That sounds like a great reading week to me! I read The President's Missing and really liked it. I want to read The President's Daughter. I hope you enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read that you enjoyed The President is Missing; I borrowed it but had to return it unread when it was first released - lots of people waiting for it.

      Delete
  13. We had a day of lower humidity and it was amazing but we are now back to hot and humid. It was still nice to get a break! I love when I get a string of books I really enjoy. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always a nice break when the humidity disappears for a bit. I think that gets most of us more than the heat itself. Have a good week Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray for cooler weather, right?! We have all the windows open in the RV, but for the opposite reason. It's not too cold and we don't need to turn on the heater, even though we're on the OR coast. Lol!

    I need to add Small Things Like These to my tbr list. It's caught my eye several times and I'm glad to see that you gave it a perfect 5-star rating.

    I have a copy of The Tattooist of Auschwitz on my nightstand and hope to get to it later this week. Great that you got it for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm gla you are enjoying your travels Les. Small Things Like These was just excellent IMO. The Tattooist of Auschwicz has gotten very good reviews; hope we both enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm loving the cooler weather... such a treat having the windows open. We were in VT last weekend and the overnight lows dipped into the 40s! It felt like "Florida winter" lol. Glad you had such a great reading week... I'm off to look for your review posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vermont is always so much cooler, looking forward to a trip there in October if it works out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.