Friday, February 13, 2015

Food: A Love Story; Jim Gaffigan

Food: A Love Story; Jim Gaffigan
Crown / Random House Audio - 2014

In Food: A Love Story,  author Jim Gaffigan gives his readers a humorous look at food, the love of eating, from good food to junk food and many places in between.  The author traces his earliest relations with food and his love of eating. Jim doesn't consider himself a "foodie", but rather an "eatie." Living now in New York City with his wife and (5) kids in a 2-bed apartment, most every topic that comes out of Gaffigan's mouth made me smile or burst out laughing while I was driving.

The author is known for his stand up comedy, so while listening to this one, it was easy to imagine him sharing some of these skits on stage. Spending many years in the Midwest, Jim has a particular fondness for barbeque and pizza, but doesn't get the obsession others have with seafood.  He has an opinion on everything from fast foods, hot dogs, Hot Pockets, pretzel bread, flavored waters and even leafy stuff like kale.

While a little of his humor goes a long way, this was fun to listen to in short segments. It would be easy to OD trying to finish this one in just a day.

A fun audio book, I think this one will appeal to fans who enjoy David Sedaris.

4/5
(audio download)

21 comments:

  1. Diane, my son introduced me to Jim Gaffigan's comedy. I find him very funny. Some of the jokes are truly hilarious (don't get me started on Hot Pockets)! Terrific review! I'm glad you enjoyed this audiobook by "eatie" Jim Gaffigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds fun. I might like it as an audiobook if he reads it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mugging by your fine review and that wedding cake topper, this sounds like a fun read. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love David Sedaris on audio... will add this to my list. Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like fun! Hey, yes, Brian has been here the longest, followed by Sascha, Gracie & Zoe, Dolly, Precious then Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this one - especially in audio form - but do agree that sometimes Gaffigan gets a little long winded. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked his memoir Dad is Fat (which I read)...but, I bet he'd be great on audio! Maybe I'll give this a shot...I have some Audible credits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds perfect for a commute! I will have to look it up. A book that makes you laugh is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, although other commuters, if on public transportation may think there is something wrong with you LOL

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this one on audio.... he can be really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this one, too, and would agree that it was easier to read in small bursts - a little went a long way, although I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason and I listened to him read his first book on a road trip last fall and really liked it. I'll have to get this one for our next road trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.