Friday, February 13, 2015

The Bone Orchard; Paul Doiron

The Bone Orchard; Paul Doiron
Minotaur/McMillian Audio - 2014



In this crime mystery thriller former game warden, Mike Bowditch, now works as a fishing guide in Down East Maine after a few incidents and personal tragedy shook things up in his life. Just a few months after his job change he learns that his old supervisor Kathy Frost is under investigation after shooting and killing a suicidal war veteran.  Feeling for his former mentor he decides to visit her and offer his support, but has no idea what he is in for.

Kathy is shot, possibly and her sniper at-large. Mike, despite the fact he is no longer holds an official position in law enforcement, decides to pursue his own investigation to track down the shooter. As he dig deeper and deeper, he uncovers some new revelations about his friend Kathy. As the list of suspects grow, things escalate and quickly get a bit out of control.

I liked this crime mystery well enough, but I realized well into the story that this is the 5th book of a series which begins with, The Poacher's Son.....darn. So for me, there were some characters and some back history that would have made this a more enjoyable experience if I had read the other books first.  I loved the backwoods Maine setting, which played out so well in this story. I also liked the way the suspense grew gradually, but I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. Not sure whether I'll go back to read the first (4) books in the series at this point, but I still enjoyed the audiobook experience -- great narrator as well -- Henry Levya.
3.5/5 stars
(library audio book)

3 comments:

  1. This is a series that has been on my "try it" list for a long time. One day maybe. On audio, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting but I have come in halfway into a mystery series before and it's not always a good decision. Sometimes it doesn't matter but sometimes I need to have started earlier just to have a better connection. This sounds like the latter. I'll have to look for this series as I love the setting and the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first book in this series and liked it. I enjoyed the backwoods setting too. I didn't realize there were now five books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.