Thursday, May 14, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Book Gluttony!






Mariel suggested this week’s question Book Gluttony! Are your eyes bigger than your book belly? Do you have a habit of buying up books far quicker than you could possibly read them? Have you had to curb your book buying habits until you can catch up with yourself? Or are you a controlled buyer, only purchasing books when you have run out of things to read?




Last count I had close to 570 books (and that is after donating quite a bit prior to our move). Keep in mind, I never save books after I read them, so all but maybe 5 of these are sadly UNREAD. I call this my "retirement stash", just in case I am really poor and homebound one day :)



Honestly, I cannot recall paying full price for a book in years. Most of my books are obtained from: Library book sales, Paperback Swap, ARCS, and often through gift card purchases as well. Books bring me comfort, and although, I tend to read the inside or back covers often, my reading since our move has slowed down a bit.



I am also, and have been for a number of years "hooked" on the library, so that complicates things a bit and keeps my unread stacks mounting.

What say you? >> sad huh? or, the more I think about it -- happy really!












Audio book collection (unread)

15 comments:

  1. I don't feel so bad about my unread stash any more! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed by how tidy it all is. I really should try to sort mine out a bit more, instead of just stacking them up.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's quite a set of bookshelves- I'm impressed! :-) That in and of itself is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that is a very impressive amount of unready books. But I agree you have to keep of stast of books for retirement, I just hope if we end up that poor that we can't afford to buy books we can afford the reading glasses we'll need LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane thanks for coming by. I admire your ability to get rid of books. I always find I want to read things again or look up references. I also just love to have books all around me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane thanks for coming by. I admire your ability to get rid of books. I usually find I want to read them again or use them for reference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just amazing! 570 unread books! My TBR pile at home is only a tenth of that! I very very rarely pay full price, too. Wow, I so enjoyed looking through your shelves. Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. And here I thought I had lots and lots of unread books. I think I currently jave eight or nine unread books -- but that is only counting books I've paid real money for (mostly from Amazon.com) and not ones I may have picked up from various library book sales for fifty cents or a dollar each.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking at your books! I never thought of a retirement stack but I am building my dream library one book at a time!

    Vasilly

    ReplyDelete
  11. My tbrs are fast approaching yours, meaning I probably have at least 500 unread books in the house--trouble is, I hold on to the ones I do read, so my shelves are out-and-out shambles.

    I'm happy to see Pinkerton's Sister on one of your shelves. I LOVED that book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane,
    Your books look very organized. When I took my photo there was no rhyme or reason.
    I pay full price for my very favorite authors new books because I like to support them - that is maybe 10 or so a year. But everything else I find the same places you do. Can't seem to pass up a book bargain.
    I'm adding a link to your book shelves on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know for sure how many unread books I have, but there are lots! PBS has done a number on me too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh thank you for sharing your "retirement stash" - I don't feel so bad anymore :)

    I have an idea of how many books I have waiting for me and it's quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm hooked on the library as well which also means that the books I own go unread at times. You'll never have to worry about running out of books during a blizzard or something :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.