Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along. This week's "intro" is from: The Sense of an Ending; Julian Barnes


"I remember, in no particular order:

-- shiny inner wrist;
--steam rising from a wet sink as a hot frying pan is laughingly tossed into it;
--gouts of sperm circling a plughole, before being sluiced down the full length of a tall house;
--a river rushing nonsensically upstream, its wave and wash lit by half a dozen chasing torchbeams;
--another river, broad and grey, the direction of its flow disguised by a stiff wind exciting the surface;
--bathwater long gone cold behind a locked door.

The last isn't something I actually saw, but what you end up remembering isn't always the same as what you have witnessed." 

What do you think? Worth continuing? (I am very intrigued and anxious to pick this up again later today).

15 comments:

  1. The title is intriguing to begin with ... and the first paragraph draws one further. I also like the way in which it is typed.
    onto the list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snippets of memory intrigue me...is it like his life is flashing before him? Yes, I would continue.

    Here's MY TT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghat does sound a fairly good...like some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading the same book today, so decided to post the second paragraph. Started last night and will finish this afternoon. :-)
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2011/12/tuesday-intro-sense-of-ending.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure I would read this one based on that paragraph. I might read a little further to decide if this is one that I would get along with though, which is what I imagine that you did! You will have to let us know how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a strange one, Diane. I can't tell if I'd keep going or not. Can't wait to see what you think, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I would continue. Sounds a bit depressing to me.

    This week I am reading 10th Anniversary by James Patterson. This is the only series of his that I read.

    10th Anniversary

    I am still learning how to link so if that didn't work please visit my blog at

    http://booksnwhatnot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! The Sense of an Ending was one of my favorite reads of 2011. I hope you keep enjoying it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard good things about this book.

    Here is my First Chapter for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is an attention-getting writing! I've been thinking about reading this book....hmmmm. Not sure yet. Compelling intro, though! I'm now going to seek the definition of "gout of".

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one is definitely on my radar screen to read. I can't wait to hear what you think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...this one sounds a bit weird to me. Not sure if I would keep on or not!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautifully-written book, no words wasted and very memorable, even though none of the three main characters are very likeable, to put it mildly. Look forward to your review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to hear what you think. This was on my Christmas wish list but I didn't receive it :( The opening you quoted is not at all what I expected, so now I'm doubly curious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.