Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday ~ Cold Light; Jenn Ashworth


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is by Jenn Ashworth . (I adored her book, A Kind of Intimacy).

William Morrow - March 2012

(about the book) -
I'm sitting on my couch, watching the local news. There's Chloe's parents, the mayor, the hangers on, all grouped round the pond for the ceremony. It's ten years since Chloe and Carl drowned, and they've finally chosen a memorial - a stupid summerhouse. The mayor has a spade decked out in pink and white ribbon, and he's started to dig. 

You can tell from their faces that something has gone wrong. But I'm the one who knows straightaway that the mayor has found a body. And I know who it is.

This is the tale of three fourteen-year-old girls and a volatile combination of lies, jealousy and perversion that ends in tragedy. Except the tragedy is even darker and more tangled than their tight-knit community has been persuaded to believe.

Blackly funny and with a surreal edge to its portrait of a northern English town, Jenn Ashworth's gripping novel captures the intensity of girls' friendships and the dangers they face in a predatory adult world they think they can handle. And it shows just how far that world is willing to let sentiment get in the way of the truth.

24 comments:

  1. I am definitely intrigued by this one. Can't wait til it's out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, this one definitely grabbed my attention....love the sound of it!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really interesting. I'm going to watch for it. Thanks!
    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by this as well. Great choice!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I'm not familiar with this author but it sounds like I should be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author but will add both books mentioned to my TBR list.

    I need to be in the mood for a dark tale but I do enjoy them.

    Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds excellent! I want to read this one when I can. Thanks for sharing this with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh that one looks great! I've never heard of it before, but it's definitely going on my TBR list :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good read, it sounds like a story of typical girls of this age but with a dark twist...... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME AWESOME pick! I think it looks fab as well!

    http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almost sounds scary. Have a wonderful week and thanks for visiting today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, you got me. I want to know the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, a fourteen year old girl involved in a murder? And there's humor involved? This sounds super creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this one sounds like a very good read, fascinating.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds really interesting. I'm definitely intrigued by this one.

    Here's mine: http://danicapage.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday-8-and-www.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, Cool Light looks eerie, yet strangely exciting.

    Have an amazing reading week!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I'm probably going to have to add this to my wish list too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What??? How have I NOT heard of this one before? It sounds freaking awesome. Eeeek

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This really sounds interesting. Now I'll be waiting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pick! This is definitely going on my watch list. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seems as if it is a tale of intrigue that is worth reading. 'Curiouser and curiouser' maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.