Friday, February 10, 2012

No Buddy Left Behind; Terri Crisp and Cindy Hurn


Author:  Terri Crisp and Cindy Hurn
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Edition: audio
Reader: author - Nicole Valencia (very good)
Source: Library
Date Completed: 2/10/2012
Rating: 5/5
Recommend: yes

No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone, was such a wonderful audio book experience.  Pet lovers everywhere will be able to relate to the lost, lonely, empty feeling that most likely would hit us if we had to leave the country and also leave behind our animals that have helped us through many sad and uncertain times.

In the midst of a country torn apart by war, American Soldiers forced to leave their families behind in the states, tried to make the best of a very difficult situation.  Loneliness and depression were often commonplace, and although soldiers were forbidden to befriend stray animals they came in contact with while fighting a war, the rules were often bent to give the servicemen something positive, something to care about and look forward to at the end of their long days.

With a genuine concern for what would happen to the soldier's new best friends, when they left Iraq and Afghanistan, several military personnel contacted Terri Crisp, International Program Manager for Operation Baghdad Pups with the SPCA International to plead their case as to what their new companion meant to them, and why their animal should be shipped back to the U.S.

Although there is strict criteria which needs to be met,  if the animal is eligible for the program, the organization provides all of the veterinary care, and makes all the necessary transportation arrangement to make things go as smoothly as possible.  Since 2008, Terri, along with a team of dedicated volunteers rescued and transported some 280+ animals out of  the war zone and eventually into a loving home of a serviceman or their family members.  This book tells not only the personal stories of what the military personnel have endured while at war, but it also tells the stories of what the animals (mostly dogs and some cats) have endured. Despite the conditions the animals endured, they still were able to give something back to those who rescued them. It was a win -- win for man and their 4-legged friend. The stories are very personal, and although for the most part heartwarming, there are sad moments when tears were shed as well.  I loved everything about this book, and I especially enjoyed the afterward, in which we learned a bit about what life was like once the animals had homes in the States. What a wonderful organization! What a wonderful book!

A must-read or must-listen to for animal lovers everywhere.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I always love the heartwarming stories of soldiers and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I have never heard of something like this happening, and I just am so touched by it! I would love to read this one and check it out for myself. Though there are some sad moments, it sounds as if this is an ultimately upbeat book. Fantastic review today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to get this one for my monthly credit on Audible.com...sounds like a great book to listen to and one that will really get to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you would love it! It's more feel good than sad. A worthwhile experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I've heard about any of this. I totally understand how comforting it is for a service person so far from home to have a relationship with an animal probably as much in need of some TLC. I think it's great that some of the animals are able to be brought into the USA and live with the soldier who adopted them. I want to read this book but I also have some trepidation about it because of the pain and suffering some f the animals probably endured, not to mention the people.

    Great review, thank you for posting about ths book, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am completely behind this program and think it's wonderful but I cannot read animal stories that make me sad. They stay with me too long and make me have bad dreams about something happening to my own animals. I know that sounds silly but it's who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge animal fan so this book is right down my alley. I'm really hopeful that I can get my hands on a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds so inspiring. It's great to hear that efforts have been made to rescue these animals who mean to much to our troops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huge animal lover and I'm sure this book would make me cry. A lot. But I'm thinking it would probably be worth it. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.