Wednesday, November 28, 2012

(2) new cute kids books for 2012/13 Winter Christmas Season

Deborah Underwood (author)
Renata Liwska (illustrator)

Houghton Mifflin Childrens - 2012

In The Christmas Quiet Book, readers will enjoy pages and pages of quiet moments leading up to the Christmas holiday. Adorable animals like bear cubs and bunnies are shown trimming the tree, enjoying the twinkling lights, watching The Nutcracker, making gingerbread houses taking quiet walks and even taking part in a Christmas play.
 
Each scene is briefly described with just a few words to describe the "quiet" activity.The simple text describes each type of quiet in only a few words, but honestly is it the gorgeous illustrations that won my heart with this special book. Each illustration seems lovelier than the one before, echoing the simple beauty of nature and peace.

A perfect month of December reading choice to enjoy with a hot cup of cocoa, cuddled in front of the fire. ENJOY it with your special little one. Check out this adorable video on Amazon.

4.5/5 stars

Jane O'Connor - (author)
Robin Preiss-Glasser - (illustrator)

Harper Festival Books - 2012

In Fancy Nancy, There's No Day Like a Snow Day, Nancy is all excited when she wakes up and finds out that school has been canceled because of blizzard, even if mom and dad still have to go to work, while Mrs. Devine comes over to baby sit.

Nancy, Bree and her friends can even make a snow day "fancy", as they build snowmen, make snow angels and more.  More fun follows when dad and mom return from work (boy I wish I had parents like Nancys).

Anyone who is familiar with the "Fancy Nancy" books knows that part of the charm of this series is that Nancy likes to use "fancy words" and explains their meaning as well.  In this, her newest book, young readers will learn the meanings of some "fancy" words like: blizzard, century, frolic, phenomenal; mistaken, regal, twilight, and supersonic speed.

A very fun edition to the Fancy Nancy series.

4/5 stars

15 comments:

  1. I love the idea of The Christmas Quiet Book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your children's book reviews. I read so many to my grand kids. The most demanded, I read it over and over, is The Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I love Fancy Nancy, especially the big, "fancy" words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Fancy Nancy books are so cute and I love the look of the first one too! Completely adorable book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend The Christmas Quiet Book, too! Nice reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately all the little ones in my life are now too old for Fancy Nancy, and I miss that series! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to read the Fancy Nancy books since Nancy is my name! Wish they'd been around when my kids were little, but I plan to read them myself. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, saw the ad on the side for the Kindle Paperwhite. I LOVE mine. It has changed my ebook reading life. No more itty bitty light and using way too many batteries. The dictionary is great, it is easy and intuitive to use. I couldn't be more pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that my two litle ones are getting older (9 and 12 now) I miss picture books but have been busy buying ones for my great-nephews instead. We were big Fancy Nancy fans here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both books look and sound wonderful! Thanks for your lovely presentation of these children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lord knows I want some quiet this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for these recs! I am always looking for good seasonal books for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had seen these earlier! sigh. I'm so behind :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Quiet book looks great. It keeps popping up on Amazon as a recommendation for me, and I may have to give in and get it for the girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.