Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Joy for Beginners; Erica Bauermeister


Author:  Erica Bauermeister
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Edition: audio 
Reader: Cassandra Campbell (excellent)
Source: library
Date Completed:  November/2012
Rating: 4.5/5 
Recommend: yes
 
In this story of friendship and courage, Kate a breast cancer survivor in recovery announces at a party that she is going to challenge herself to do something that she always felt was too frightening or challenging previously -- for her it will be white water rafting  in the Grand Canyon with her daughter.  She challenges her (6) friends and supporters through out her health crisis to do the same, with the condition that she, Kate, gets to pick the challenge.
 
Each of the women has an issue they need to deal with. Marion is an empty-nester, Sara's life revolves around her children, Daria is a woman who has closed her heart to love, Ava, can't bear to deal with loss, Hadley, is a self-imposed home bound young widow, and Caroline, has an ex-husband whose books she hasn't been able to part with. Not all of the challenges Kate chooses are frightening or ones that most of us would see as tough, however, for these women they are significant and critical to help each move on with life.
 
The women range in ages, and their stories are diverse. I think some readers might even find something in the stories that resonates with them as well.  What makes the story work well is that each story is told by one of the women at a time.  The reason I was drawn to this book was because, I had listened to the author's first novel, The School of Essential Ingredients, and really enjoyed it. Like this book, it was narrated by, Cassandra Campbell who is a fantastic audio book narrator.
 

11 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too. The women shared the kind of friendship I cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra Campbell is one of my favorite narrators. I'll definitely be listening to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled what else she has narrated -- lots of YA, but also Tales of Halcyon Crane and The Year We Left Home ; Jean Thompson - both of which I requested from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds excellent, Diane. Another terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to read this one. Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this one, too. Bauermeister's writing is just fantastic, and I like how she tells each story separately but connects them in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got this one in my library loot pile. I hope to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of this book and it's one I hope to read someday. Glad that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just visited Margot's blog and she mentioned this book. It's the only one by this author that I haven't read so maybe I will listen to it instead!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.