Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Eleanor & Park; Rainbow Rowell


Eleanor & Park, is a story which takes place in 1986 in Omaha, Nebraska over the course of one school year. It's the story of two teens who don't fit into the mainstream very well. Eleanor is the new girl who stands out at her new school. She has flame red hair, bigger build and dresses different. She is picked on constantly by other girls and the target of mean pranks as well. 

Park is half-Korean and although his life is a lot better than Eleanors, he feels like a misfit. He isn’t new in town, but feels isolated because he like comic books and music that is different to most teens. When no one else will let Eleanor sit down on the bus on her first day at school, Park motions to her to sit next to him. Each day they sit next to other and begin to talk.  Neither has ever been in a relationship before, and slowly their friendship blossoms to something more.
Park's relationship with his parents is strained at times, but his home is safe, he has plenty to eat and his parents are in love. For Eleanor, Park is the only thing that makes her life worth living. Her home life is horrible, she lives with her mom and abusive, hard drinking, step-father Ritchie. She shares a room with her four younger siblings, and their bathroom does not even have a door on it.

What a great story!  I am so happy I took the time to listen to this book that everyone has been raving about.  The readers, Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra perfectly captured these two teens.Their relationship seemed very realistic. I felt like I experienced their joy and their pain, rooting for them all along. Heartbreaking at times, it is a story that I highly recommend.

5/5 stars (library audio book)

16 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see this author making the rounds. She really is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I just put this one on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parts of me felt it was unfair that Park loved Eleanor more, but I did understand where she's from. Quite a sad story, but the ending made me smile...I think more than anything, it was that instance that made me like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is at the top of my 'must listen in 2014' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about this one, ever since reading the author's Attachments, which I enjoyed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...this one is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you really enjoyed this one, Diane. I have heard such great things about it. I may have to give the audio version a try! I've yet to listen to an audiobook with more than one narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lOVED this book! It's funny, I don't do audio books but am always so glad to hear that they are done well. I worry that I won't like the voices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the light/fresh look of the blog! This is my first time getting to visit since we settled in over here. We will be back next week though, for Christmas and January. Always on the move...

    I need to get a copy of this book, everyone is raving over it.

    Merry Christmas Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep reading great responses to this book - I really want to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book too! I am listening to Sisterland narrated by Rebecca Lowman and she is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely looooved this one. All of her books are great. So glad you liked it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to read this one with my book club soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I loved this one too - it was just heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had this on my list to get for my niece, but I held off. I'll have to remember this for her birthday in May!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.