Tuesday, December 3, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - A Nantucket Christmas; Nancy Thayer

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? I like to read 1-2 Christmas books in December, and since Nantucket is one of my favorite places to visit. This would be my ideal place (off season) to hide away for some alone-time.

Random House - 2013 

"On Nantucket, the Christmas season is different.

Really. 

The island, fifty-two square miles of flat sandy land, lies in windswept isolation almost thirty miles away from the continent and all its institutions and entertainments.  In the summer, the sun shines down on the golden beaches and a serene blue sea.  In the winter, gale force winds lash and howl over the ocean, cutting its residents off from family, friends and often fresh bread and milk as Nantucket Sound freezes over and no planes fly, no boats sail, to or from the island.  When the sun sets early and rises late, deep black water surrounds the land in infinite darkness.'"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

18 comments:

  1. What a perfect choice, Diane! Think I'll add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This probably suits my mood much better than the book I've chosen for today… will see if my library has a copy available. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very atmospheric writing. I'd read on...

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog and link party. I usually do a weekly book review and have joined in with you this week. It is always nice to discover new authors and great books.

    http://www.craftygardener.ca/body-on-t/

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. maybe I would need something more cozy feeling for Christmas, but not even sure I will have time this year

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Nancy Thayer, so I would keep reading...but maybe this book will be spooky. Winter in Nantucket doesn't sound very good to me...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually look for something to for the Season too. This makes me want to visit Nantucket, esp. at Christmas time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Christmas themed book today too. I love the sound of yours. I've been dying to read Nancy Thayer's books. I'm adding this one to my TBR already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure this one would be for me, but I think it's quite jolly of you to read Christmas books during the Christmas season. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just starting this one so I'd keep reading. Have a nice day and enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would keep reading. The intro has set the tone and has me wondering just what Christmas would be like in such an environment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific opener! I'd read more....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always enjoyed her books. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm too late for this meme again. Will be visiting all of you though. I do so like this one

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this one the other day. I like her books and this cover is so pretty. I'd keep reading for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.