Tuesday, December 10, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Norumbega Park; Anthony Giardina

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? Today's pick has been on my wish list since 2011. It takes place in the suburbs of Boston.

Picador

"The Palumbo family, beholden to tradition, drives every year into the country on the last weekend before Thanksgiving to buy the turkey.  Beyond Lexington, beyond Bedford and Concord, where the country opens up and darkens, there are still farms where large cages hold white, startled birds.  "That one, " says Joannie, the little girl, pointing, then runs back to the car, and before she is even inside, she covers her ears against the knowledge her big brother chooses not to protect her from.  In the back seat, keeping her company as he's ordered to, Jack repeats it: "They cut off their heads." Already (he is eight), he has mastered a  certain smile that will make him, years later, catnip to women.  But not now; now he is only Jack, her tormentor" .
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

14 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but that seemed sweet. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this one...and the brother reminds me of my older brother! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brothers!! I should know, I have two of them. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have two brothers of my own, too! I haven't heard of this one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me want to know more about their relationship as they glow older.

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  6. Promising start...I'm curious as to how the story and its characters will develop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly grabs my interest. I hope it continues and doesn't turn dark. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, wondering where this is going...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I'd want my kids to pick out their food, like they pick out a Christmas tree. Guess people do choose their lobsters though. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have my interest. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a funny tradition, but I'd keep reading. When I was growing up as a kid I watched my dad cut the head off and we as kids did the plucking. He finished the pin feathers up with a blow torch so I wouldn't be squeamish like the girl. It's a fact of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Siblings can be so cruel. This sounds like an interesting book. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up with brothers! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would keep reading despite disliking the tradition of picking out which turkey ends up on the dining room table! Otherwise I'm interested in where this story goes, what it's about!
    Happy Reading, Diane :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.