Monday, May 16, 2016

Britt-Marie Was Here; Fredrik Backman

Britt-Marie Was Here; Fredrik Backman
Atria - 2016


"Forks. Knives. Spoons. In that order.

Britt-Marie is certainly not the kind of person who judges other people. Far from it.  

But surely no civilized person would even think of arranging a cutlery drawer in a different way from how cutlery drawers are supposed to be arranged?

We're not animals are we?"

Britt-Marie is a 63 year-old woman who is socially awkward and set in her ways.  After leaving her cheating husband she needs a job and the only job she finds is in Borg, 12 miles away.  Her new job is to clean the recreation center in the town.

The people that Britt meets at her job and in Borg are what makes this book a fun read. There were many funny scenes like when Britt-Marie finds out that the recreation center does not stock the ONLY acceptable cleaning product that someone would use.  Britt-Marie is a woman who never had children of her own yet, she finds herself in charge of a kids soccer team with children who are longing for some attention.

Britt-Marie's debut came in Backman's last book, My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She's Sorry. When that story ended Britt was leaving driving in her car.  This story picks up where the other left off but, it isn't necessary to read that book to enjoy this one.  The author knows how to create quirky, yet sympathetic characters.  Britt-Marie was so rigid and opinionated yet because of her past and present situation, she's an easy character to root for. You'll know everything there is to know about her and, by the end of the book she felt like someone I knew most of my life. It was so nice to see her become a vital part of the community.

Readers looking for a sweet story with a quirky protagonist should try this book. Almost every phrase uttered by Britt-Marie ended up being highlighted and put a smile on my face.

4/5 stars
(review copy)

16 comments:

  1. I've still got A Man Called Ove waiting on my kindle, but will add this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I have this and My Grandmother Told Me on my TBR and I do want to read both but I'm glad to hear that the order doesn't matter too much. I love characters I can root for and am looking forward to picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one - didn't know about the connection to Backman's previous book. Will read it at some point, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize this was a continuation of My Grandmother Told Me To Tell You She's Sorry. I'd like to read both books since I loved A Man Called Ove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that I get to both books this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound very readable, Diane! Quirky main characters tend to be more interesting. I am back from a trip and hope to be back to blogging soon. Have a terrific week, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I didn't know this was a companion book. oops. I have been seeing around and somehow missed that fact!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved A Man Called Ove and have My Grandmother...on Pippa, just waiting to be read. I am happy to hear that Britt-Marie is in the grandmother book, as she sounds like a character I'll enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering if this is the same Britt-Marie from Backman's last book. I am glad that you confirmed that. Can't wait to start reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be in the minority here where I never quite got into Grandmother! I wonder whether this other book should be better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read the second book. I really enjoyed reading A Man Called Ove and love the writing so I know I'll enjoy his other two books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Backman has such a way with combining great sadness with quirky, funny stuff. And always so many great lines!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought A Man Called Ove and am waiting to read it. This book sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVED A Man Called Ove and can't wait to read the next two books. I have this one (ARC) in my stacks, but will read My Grandmother first. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.