Friday, May 27, 2016

Her Again: Becoming Meryl Streep; Michael Schulman

Harper - 2016

Meryl Streep is one Hollywood actress who seems to shine in whatever movie she has been cast in.  

Born to a middle class New Jersey family, the oldest child of three, she studied voice as a child but, never got interested in acting until she attended Vassar.  Her talent set her apart from her peers there and she was able to earn a spot at the competitive Yale School of Drama as a result.  

Her success in Hollywood earned her 19 Oscar nominations and she's won 3 Oscars.  Her first real love was with actor John Cazale who passed away quite young. She's been married to Don Gummer for nearly 40 years and the couple has four children.

I enjoyed this bio, and found it somewhat informative and even entertaining but,  I wished that there was a more in-depth exploration of Streep's 40 year career as an actress and more about her roles.  Unfortunately, the book I read was a review copy and it did not have any photos which are included in the finished copy.  I think Meryl fans should give this one a try if you are interested in finding out more about her life and success as an actress.

3.5/5 stars
(review copy)


  1. I've loved Meryl Streep ever since Krammer vs. Krammer and really think I'd enjoy this one. I haven't read it but agree with you in thinking that her amazing and long-spanning career would offer a very indepth and detailed story. I think I'll add this one to my non-fic to read list.

  2. I love her acting so would be interested in giving this a try. I'm always impressed with anyone in Hollywood who stays married that long.

  3. My husband was a huge Streep fan, and I've liked everything I've seen her in. I might have to find a copy of this book.

  4. Diane, this sounds like a wonderful book about her life. Have a great weekend.

  5. I very much want to read or listen to this one. I know what you mean about wanting more information about her roles--I'd like to read in depth about this as well. I think eventually there will be an incisive biography about her, and who knows? Perhaps a memoir. Wouldn't that be a treat?

  6. I admire Meryl Streep so much. She can play any part it seems. I have put this on my list! Thanks.

  7. She is such an amazing actress; it's a shame they didn't talk more about that given that she's one of a kind.


Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)