Friday, May 27, 2016

Her Again: Becoming Meryl Streep; Michael Schulman

Harper - 2016

Meryl Streep is one Hollywood actress who seems to shine in whatever movie she has been cast in.  

Born to a middle class New Jersey family, the oldest child of three, she studied voice as a child but, never got interested in acting until she attended Vassar.  Her talent set her apart from her peers there and she was able to earn a spot at the competitive Yale School of Drama as a result.  

Her success in Hollywood earned her 19 Oscar nominations and she's won 3 Oscars.  Her first real love was with actor John Cazale who passed away quite young. She's been married to Don Gummer for nearly 40 years and the couple has four children.

I enjoyed this bio, and found it somewhat informative and even entertaining but,  I wished that there was a more in-depth exploration of Streep's 40 year career as an actress and more about her roles.  Unfortunately, the book I read was a review copy and it did not have any photos which are included in the finished copy.  I think Meryl fans should give this one a try if you are interested in finding out more about her life and success as an actress.

3.5/5 stars
(review copy)

7 comments:

  1. I've loved Meryl Streep ever since Krammer vs. Krammer and really think I'd enjoy this one. I haven't read it but agree with you in thinking that her amazing and long-spanning career would offer a very indepth and detailed story. I think I'll add this one to my non-fic to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her acting so would be interested in giving this a try. I'm always impressed with anyone in Hollywood who stays married that long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was a huge Streep fan, and I've liked everything I've seen her in. I might have to find a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, this sounds like a wonderful book about her life. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much want to read or listen to this one. I know what you mean about wanting more information about her roles--I'd like to read in depth about this as well. I think eventually there will be an incisive biography about her, and who knows? Perhaps a memoir. Wouldn't that be a treat?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire Meryl Streep so much. She can play any part it seems. I have put this on my list! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is such an amazing actress; it's a shame they didn't talk more about that given that she's one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.