Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Forty Rooms; Olga Grushin - DNF

Forty Rooms; Olga Grushin
Blackstone Audio - 2016

Although Forty Rooms was a different kind of novel and  although Christa Lewis' narration was excellent, I was unable to finish this one. It just wasn't for me.

The story begins in Soviet Russia with an unnamed narrator at the age of four. The young girl is bright, imaginative, and dreams of being a poet. Each of the chapters centers on a different "room" which represents a memorable life experience for the narrator who as an adult is referred to as only Mrs Caldwell.  The chapters have a dream like quality and for me, there seemed to be little connection. As the narrator matures, I started to find the protagonist unlikable. Although the audio version had a pleasant tone, I had to jump abandon this one around the halfway mark.

DNF
(library audio)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, so sorry about that...I always feel very frustrated when I've put in time on a book...and then can't finish it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had high hopes but, like it's so true that not every book will appeal to every reader. It was just too flowery and dreamy for me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If you like flowery, dreamy writing, I'd recommend it - I don't:(

      Delete
  3. Well, getting through twenty rooms was pretty good, considering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry this did not work for you. But if we all liked every book that would be crazy, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do sometimes find a book we just can not finish. There are other books beckoning to us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.