How was your October? Are you happy it's over? I feel like I've been wishing my life away this past year given all we have been through (not us personally, but, our country in general.)
October was a very good month for me reading-wise. My reading numbers were up as I just couldn't stand to watch the news in recent weeks, many of you feel the same I am sure. We voted early, by mail, as our virus numbers are beginning to creep up as there are everywhere else it seems.
I started watching a new series last week, The Undoing, starring Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant & Donald Sutherland. It's on HBO and I'm hooked - psych thriller feel. It's based on the book: You Should Have Known ; Jean Hanff Korelitz (I just purchased the eBook for $2.99 so hope to read it soon).
Wednesday was my library book group meeting. We hoped to meet in the park one last time before it was too cold but, it was pouring out so it was a Zoom meeting instead. There were (8) of us and our read was Two-Family House (2016); Lynda Cohen-Loigman - St. Martin's Press. I actually read the book when it was released in 2016 and I liked it a lot. The group enjoyed the story, a debut novel, but, we agreed it was not fine literature. It did make for a good discussion. What was surprising was all of us, except for one person grew up in Two-Family houses as children. Who knew it was that common?In my case, my family lived on the first floor and my grandfather, an unmarried uncle and an unmarried aunt lived on the second floor. (Built in baby-sitters, I guess)
Our next meeting isn't until January as we don't meet over the holidays and, this year we won't be having a Holiday luncheon due to the virus.
Here's a snapshot of what I read in October:
- The Death October of Vivek Oji; Akwaeke Emezi - (5/5 (audio/Oct.)
- Hieroglyphics; Jill McCorkle - 4.5/5 - (print/library/Oct)
- The Mothers; Brit Bennett - 3.5/5 - (eGalley/audio combo/Oct)
- Ghostology; Curtle & Steel - 5/5 (print/October)
- Where's Waldo? Spooky Spotlight Search; Martin Handford (print/October)
- Love is Powerful; Heather Dean Brewer - 5/5 (print/October)
- Fresh Water for Flowers; Valerie Perrin - 4.5/5 (print/library/Oct)
- Dear Edward; Ann Napolitano - 4/5 - (audio/October)
- His & Hers; Alice Feeney - 4/5 - (print/audio/October)
- Confessions on the 7:45; Lisa Unger - 2.5/5 (audio/October)
- His Truth is Marching On: John Lewis & the Power of Hope; Jon Meacham - NF-5/5 (eGalley/Oct)
- Channel Kindness; Born This Way Foundation Reporters & Lady Gaga - 5/5 NF (print/library/Oct)
- Goodnight, Beautiful; Aimee Molloy - 3.5/5 (audio/October)
- White Ivy; Susie Yang - 4.5/5 - (eGalley/October)
- Big Kibble; Buckley (The Hidden Dangers in the Pet Food Industry)
- Greenlights; Matthew McConaughey
- Good Morning Monster; Gildiner (I meant to read this last month but time ran out)