Sunday, October 18, 2020

Book Review - Dear Edward; Ann Napolitano

 

Dear Edward; Ann Napolitano

Random House Audio - 2019

Twelve year old Edward Adler is the sole survivor of a flight from NY to Los Angeles, CA. 183 passengers and a crew of 8 perished along with Edward's parents and his older brother.  Hospitalized and eventually recovering from his injuries, the next part, the emotional healing, is sure to be the hardest. How does a young boy like Edward deal with such horrific loss as well as the difficulties of adolescence and still find their place in the world?

Edward is taken in by Edward's mother's sister, Lacey, who is also grieving, dealing with the loss of her sister. Neither she nor her husband John are comfortable talking about their losses. Then there is Edward's therapist, Mike, and his beautiful yet quirky next door neighbor, Shay, who is always there for him when ever he needs a friend to talk to.

The back story alternates between some of the passengers that were on board who came from all walks of life. Edward's story left a lump in my throat at times, I found myself really taken by his story as well as one of the other passenger's story as well - a few others were less interesting to me. Overall, I was happy I tried this one, the writing is excellent and it was expertly narrated by Cassandra Campbell. If you are in the mood for a well written story about trauma, grief, survival, loss and healing, be sure to add this one to your list. Deeply moving.

Rating - 4/5 stars

25 comments:

  1. Diane, this does sound like a moving story. Excellent, concise review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking I'd like this one. I may look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. Sounds very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surviving a catastrophe like this would be difficult for anyone, but for a child? I'm interested in the quirky next door neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this on my "maybe" list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't call my name initially but it worked well on audio once I committed to reading it.

      Delete
  6. Oh this sounds like it will tug the heart strings, thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just ordered this on audio with Libro.fm Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A story of loss might be a tough one right now, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one has been on my list since it came out. It's on my Kindle now. I've heard some mixed reviews of it but overall, it sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an earlier book by this author as well and really like the way she writes: https://annnapolitano.com/a-good-hard-look/

      Delete
  10. This one grew on me as I read it. I couldn't read it at this point in time, but recommend it for a more stable time :) Of course, anything heavier than a story that can be made into a Hallmark movie is not happening right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard of the author but never tried her. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy - she's so good. I loved another book I read by her as well - https://annnapolitano.com/a-good-hard-look/

      Delete
  12. I do like Cassandra Campbell ... so I'll have to get to the audio of it. thx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.