Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Book Review - The Long Call; Ann Cleeves

 

                                                              The Long Call; Ann Cleeves

                                                                       Minotaur - 2019

In this new series, Detective Inspector Matthew Venn is a 40-something, gay man who returns to North Devon and the strict evangelical community where he grew up.  Matthew has been estranged from his parents, disagreeing with their fanatical religious views.  His father has just died and Matthew is now happily married to Jonathan, a kind man who manages the Woodyard, an arts center that also runs a day program for developmentally disabled adults.

Matthew's first murder case here involves a body of a young man that has been found along the beach. The man later identified as Simon Walden was stabbed but, the reason that he was killed is a mystery. As Matthew and his partner Jen Rafferty begin to investigate Simon's murder, they learn he has struggled with alcohol issues and killed a young child while driving drunk. As the case develops this and a few other crimes that develop seem to have ties to The Woodyard which puts Matthew in a awkward position since his husband Jonathan is a manager there. 

This is Book 1 of the Two River Series.  I was pleased with this book and I liked the soft spoken Matthew character, he's introspective, a little unsure of himself but, has keen observation skills.  His partner Jen is a single parent who has left an abusive relationship. She is quite different from Matthew yet, I think they will work well together. I'm curious to see if Jen matures a bit more along the way. There are several other characters which added a nice element to this crime mystery, including Lucy, a developmentally disabled young woman with a very protective father. There were also two other women like Lucy, Chrissie and Rosa who play into the mystery here. I love the writing style and all the little details about places and people that made the story a treat to read.  I did think the story started out slow but I do understand how that was necessary in order to learn about some back stories, introduce new characters, and to understand possible motivations of characters and suspects.  I just started to read Book 2, The Heron's Cry, which released on 9/7/2021 in the US.

Rating - 4/5 stars

I borrowed the print edition of this book from my local library.

26 comments:

  1. I have not read any of this series, but I love her Shetland series. I will give this one a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read one - Vera Stanhope and loved it so I will definitely read more by this author.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like it will be a good series... makes me wish I read more mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good and I love that I got in early with the second book just released this week. This author has written a lot of books and playing catch up would be overwhelming, if I were to try to read each of her series.

      Delete
  3. I have been meaning to read some of her books. This series seems a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and there are only (2) book out right now - easy to catch up.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, I look to see if any of my libraries have the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a pretty interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read all of her Vera series and I love her writing. I need to move on to the Shetland series and to this one which sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the series I want to read. I started with the most recent book but, it worked fine without reading the others - I loved it.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I should get in on this series while it's still new. I'm easily put off if a series has too many books to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to grab this as we used to live in North Devon and even now only live 20 miles or so away. It's been on my radar but now there's a new book I need to get a move on. Anne Cleeves is such a good writer that I'm sure the series will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, How cool? I love the way setting is described. I think you would enjoy this one.

      Delete
  9. I liked this one and look forward to the second at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked both this one and the second one, as well. The Heron's Cry has the characters, Matthew and friends, developing into the kind of series that Cleeves writes best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, so glad to hear you loved book 2. I started The Heron's Cry and am enjoying it as well.

      Delete
  11. I got lucky and caught the e-book version of this one when it was on sale for two or three dollars one day, and I'm about 70 pages into it now. It's the first Cleeves novel I've read, but I can already tell it won't be the last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, that is how I feel about this author. I read her latest Vera Stanhope (yes, I started at the end as there are so many LOL) then The Long Call and now I'm on The Heron's Cry which follows Long Call. I'm so enjoying it as well.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed this one too! I thought Matthew was an interesting main character and a bit different from the usual super damaged detective or the one that is just all ego.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of this book (and therefore, the series) with characters who are not the typical detectives. It sounds like it could be a good television series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked this and it promises to be a great series. I remember thinking how nice to see a smart inspector but one who can still be vulnerable. Can't wait to hear what you think of the latest installment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.