Wednesday, December 17, 2008

200 - Sing Them Home; Stephanie Kallos

I anxiously awaited the release of this book as I loved the author's first book: Broken for You. This book was scheduled for a January 2009 release but hit the stores and libraries earlier.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Sing Them Home is a moving portrait of three siblings who have lived in the shadow of unresolved grief since their mother’s disappearance when they were children. Everyone in Emlyn Springs knows the story of Hope Jones, the physician’s wife whose big dreams for their tiny town were lost along with her in the tornado of 1978. For Hope’s three young children, the stability of life with their preoccupied father, and with Viney, their mother’s spitfire best friend, is no match for Hope’s absence. Larken, the eldest, is now an art history professor who seeks in food an answer to a less tangible hunger; Gaelan, the son, is a telegenic weatherman who devotes his life to predicting the unpredictable; and the youngest, Bonnie, is a self-proclaimed archivist who combs roadsides for clues to her mother’s legacy, and permission to move on. When they’re summoned home after their father’s death, each sibling is forced to revisit the childhood tragedy that has defined their lives.

I usually love books about family sagas, family secrets and, stories with quirky dysfunctional characters. This book certainly contained those elements, but I found this book to be a HUGE disappointment. The only part I really enjoyed was reading the entries in Hope's journal right up to the time of her disappearance. The other criticism I had was that at 500++ pages the ending seemed to be rushed.

In summary, I found this book easy to put down and harder to pick up afterward. It took me about (2) weeks to finish this one. I am glad I borrowed it from the library.

RATING - 2/5 - COMPLETED - 12/17/08

4 comments:

  1. Two weeks to finish? Yes it must have been very easy to put down and very hard to pick up again :-)
    I hope 'Broken For You' is better since I have it in my TBR and wanted to read it in my 100+ Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding the other book you mentioned to my TBR list but I think that I'll pass on this one. Too bad since the premise sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broken For You was my favorite book the year before last. And it's definitely among my all time favorites. I am sorry to hear that this one didn't live up to the same reputation. I will probably read it anyway just because I'd like to see for myself, but it really is disappointing that you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had really been looking forward to this one, but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't even finish. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.