Thursday, May 29, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing; Mira Jacob


Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today. I thought this debut novel sounded terrific. What do you think?  
Mira Jacob
Random House - July - 2014

 


Aren't the covers awesome?








(Description)

For fans of J. Courtney Sullivan, Meg Wolitzer, Mona Simpson, and Jhumpa Lahiri comes a winning, irreverent debut novel about a family wrestling with its future and its past.
 
With depth, heart, and agility, debut novelist Mira Jacob takes us on a deftly plotted journey that ranges from 1970s India to suburban 1980s New Mexico to Seattle during the dot.com boom. The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing is an epic, irreverent testimony to the bonds of love, the pull of hope, and the power of making peace with life’s uncertainties.

Celebrated brain surgeon Thomas Eapen has been sitting on his porch, talking to dead relatives. At least that is the story his wife, Kamala, prone to exaggeration, tells their daughter, Amina, a photographer living in Seattle.

Reluctantly Amina returns home and finds a situation that is far more complicated than her mother let on, with roots in a trip the family, including Amina’s rebellious brother Akhil, took to India twenty years earlier. Confronted by Thomas’s unwillingness to explain himself, strange looks from the hospital staff, and a series of puzzling items buried in her mother’s garden, Amina soon realizes that the only way she can help her father is by coming to terms with her family’s painful past. In doing so, she must reckon with the ghosts that haunt all of the Eapens.

9 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book does sound compelling! I think I prefer the blue cover, as it looks more like a night scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the blue cover too. It's gorgeous. The book sounds great too. I'll have to put it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of all of those other authors listed so it seems like this is one I'm going to want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this one sounds so intriguing! I love the cover to the left; the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always drawn to debut novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love debut novels. It seems that authors put their heart and soul into this one! This is available on Netgalley but unfortunately restricted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That family sounds very interesting and strange!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds really good! I'm especially drawn in by the blue cover. Hypnotic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.