Monday, November 19, 2018

Vox, Christina Dalcher



TITLE: Vox
AUTHOR: Christina Dalcher
PUBLISHER: Europa Editions
PUB. YEAR: 2018
SETTING:  US
FORMAT:  - library
RATING: 4/5 stars

Vox is a sometimes chilling look at women in America in the not too distant future.  It's an America where women are silenced by an electrical shock if they utter more than 100 words a day. They can no longer work or even have a bank account. Then it gets even more terrible, when young girls are no longer taught to read. How can this be happening?

It all comes about as a result when a misogynistic president and government officials begin to fit women and young girls with bracelets that send powerful electric shocks if they exceed the 100 word a day limit. If they break the law, they are faced to labor as prisoners. 

The story is told by Dr. Jean McClellan, a former cognitive linguist who was sent home, no longer to work outside the home, once the new Pure Movement took off.

Although our current President's name is never mentioned, the inference is there - the first totalitarian president, elected after the first black president.  

I liked the initial set up of this novel with the formation of the Pure Movement more than how it all played out. It makes you realize how important it is to speak up and let your voice be heard. This would be a good book group discussion choice as well. 

An entertaining novel that makes you think - just what if?

22 comments:

  1. How about if they are women as well as journalists? Double shocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally not the type of book I would normally pick up, but I read it a few months ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it's not my normal kind of book either but, a nice change for sure.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way - the premise is fantastic but the book didn't quite live up to it. I read somewhere that the book was written very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the "written quickly". It does make you think.

      Delete
  4. This book has been making the blogging rounds. But yours is the 1st review I've seen. Looks like it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is good that such stories are being created and told. It could happen here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Judy, I suppose it could as no-one seems poised to act with each new ridiculous thing that happens each week.

      Delete
  6. I think this book would just make me more angry. I wonder if it was written with the intent of becoming a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good premise; too bad it didn't unfold all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm, if I have to think I think is sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a scary scenario. but I wouldn't put it past the current admin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I've been wanting to read this one! Sounds so intriguing, such an interesting (and scary) premise. Thanks for the review!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure this would just make me angrier than I need to be. I may have to give up all news until after Christmas so that I can get in the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, okay. I remember reading something about this one. Interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.