Sunday, February 17, 2019

Detective Inspector Huss; Helene Tursten



AUTHOR:  Helene Tursten
PUBLISHER:  Soho Crime
PUB. YEAR: 2003
SETTING:  Sweden
FORMAT:  - eBook - library (320pp)
RATING: 3.5/5

(translated by Steven Murray - fair translation)

The first in this crime series set in Sweden, Detective Inspector Irene Huss has her work cut out for her when Richard von Knecht, one of the wealthiest businessmen from an Aristocratic family plunges to his death. Initially, suicide is suspected as his son and wife of 30 years have just returned by plane from separate destinations. When it seems apparent the the victim was unconscious when he took the plunge, the case quickly turns to a homicide investigation.

I liked the Detective Irene Huss character, she's about 40, talented, skilled at Ju Jitsu and dedicated to family (husband and twin teen daughters) but, also superior at her job as well. This is a well-crafted police procedural that has plenty of suspects, secrets and surprises that kept me guessing.  Many of the characters will likely be featured in subsequent installments. Overall, I can only give this mystery an average rating as it was slowed and spoiled by the translation which was frustrating.  I do want to try more of this series but, I need to check who the translator for subsequent titles is before deciding.

16 comments:

  1. It's frustrating when a book isn't translated well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! So much potential, you call tell the work the author put into this one.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...well, this is a series that I have had on my list for a long time. Hope the next works better for you if you try it. It's a long running series - think it's still being translated - around 5 years between actual original publish date and English publish date. From what I can see, the translator on this first one does not repeat in subsequent books. However, he has translated lots of other Scandinavian series books. As I said, hopefully, the next will better suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see different translators for subsequent books.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, that literally is lost in translation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, I just looked up the series on the Soho Crime website. It looks like every book in the series is translated by a different person! That is a bit odd I would say but means there is hope that others in the series are better translated, or a fear that they are worse? Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I discovered as well, so I will probably try more - the procedural is tops!

      Delete
  5. My son and grandson do Ju Jitsu and they both read so they might like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pitt about the translation. I once read a very good mystery thriller written by an Icelandic author but it was so stilted and stiff in the translation that it took away the whole spirit if the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was sad about that as this really was a story done right.

      Delete
  7. I really liked it! I wrote about it (gulp) 9 years ago. Impossible. It's here if you want to read it:
    https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2010/05/detective-inspector-huss-by-helene.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Nan, just checked out your superb review of Detective Inspector Huss - impressive and passionate as well. I loved learning about the artist Larsson as well and looked up some of his prints which I fell in love with. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this review, Diane. I'm almost done with An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good and have just met Inspector Huss in the story I'm currently reading. I'm already tempted to pick up another book by this author... interesting to see Kay's comment about the translator.Hope that makes a difference. Off to read Nan's review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your review. I've watched a little of this series (in Swedish with subtitles) and really liked it. I'm interested to read some of this series, but I always wonder about translations, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.