Tuesday, October 29, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Dutch House; Ann Patchett



Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers post the opening paragraph(s) of a book that they are reading or plan to read. 


The Dutch House; Ann Patchett
Harper Audio - 2019


Part 1 - Chapter 1

The first time our father brought Andrea to the Dutch House, Sandy, our housekeeper, came to my sister's room and told us to come downstairs.  "Your father has a friend he wants you to meet," she said.

"Is it a work friend?" Maeve asked.  She was older and so had a more complex understanding of friendship.

(the audio is narrated by Tom Hanks and his 
voice makes this story just wonderful so far)

Any plans to read this one? What about that intro?

31 comments:

  1. I'm wondering who the friend is already ;) And why it's called the 'Dutch' house.... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to spoil it but, better she never set foot in the house LOL

      Delete
  2. I'll be reading this one soon for a book club discussion. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my Kindle, and I can see that I must start reading it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just last night I arranged to borrow this from a friend. We are both faithful Ann Patcehtt fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to read this soon but may have to wait awhile. The library hold says it should be available in 15 weeks! Egads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Ann Patchett, so this was already on my list. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Ann Patchett, but this one looks like something I'd enjoy. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,
    I'd like to read (or listen to) this. I haven't read anything by Ann Patchett yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet Tom Hanks is great as the narrator. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous - I hope he does more audio narrations in the future.

      Delete
  10. Hi Diane,
    I have this one sitting in my reading pile. Must get to it very soon. I'm so glad you're liking it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just brought this one home from the library on Friday but haven't started reading it yet. I hear lots of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, Hope you'll enjoy it, I'm almost done and love the story.

      Delete
  12. Well, if it's read by Tom Hanks, I'm sold!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, he reads the part as if he were the main character - so good.

      Delete
  13. I have the audio waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.