Thursday, October 3, 2019

September in Review



 I was happy to welcome fall, the weather has been beautiful and the leaves are starting to change. My reading pace was good in September (16) books - (6) of these were kids picture/story books). 

Our book group met to discuss The Secret Chord; Geraldine Brooks, a story about King David.  Only (1) person finished the book, needless to say our meeting was off point., but still a fun meeting.) The librarian chose this one as Brooks is a  Pulitzer Prize winner, but this one just didn't work for most of us; it was a DNF for me.

  1. Pick a Pumpkin; Patricia Toht - 5/5 (print/my shelves-Sept)
  2. Give Me Back My Bones! Kim Norman - 5/5 (print/my shelves-Sept)
  3. On Earth We Are Briefly Gorgeous; Ocean Vuong - 4/5 (audio- Sept)
  4. The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted; Robert Hillman - 3.5/5 (ARC/Sept)
  5. Never Have I Ever; Joshilyn Jackson - 4/5 (eGalley/Sept)
  6. The 31 Day Food Revolution: Heal Your Body, Feel Great, and Transform Your World; Ocean Robbins 4.5/5 (print/my shelves-Sept)
  7. The Bookish Life of Nina Hill; Abbi Waxman - 4/5 (print/library-Sept.)
  8. Drawing Home; Jamie Brenner - 4/5 - (ARC-Sept)
  9. The Truth About Grandparents; Elina Ellis - 2/5 (print/Sept)
  10. Hide and Seek; Katie Green - 4/5 (print/Sept)
  11. The Escape Room; M. Goldin - 4/5 (print/library-Sept) - RIP CHALLEGE
  12. Daughter of Molakai; Alan Brennert - 4/5 (ARC/Sept)
  13. Someone We Know; Shari Lapena - 4/5 (print/library-Sept) - RIP CHALLENGE
  14. A Nearly Normal Family; M.T. Edvarsson - 4/5 (audio/Sept)
  15. Just Because; Mac Barnett - 4/5 (print/Sept)
  16. Mr. Scruff; Simon James - 4.5/5 (print/Sept)
                                                       Places visited in September
 Florida, Connecticut, Hawaii, California, (2 times), Australia, the Sweden and New York (2 times)

Breakdown

Fiction - 15  NF - 1 
YTD - 116
Audios - 2
eBooks - 1
print     - 13
ARCS/Review Books - 3
audio/eBook Combos - 0
Borrowed from Library - 4
Off my Shelves - 9

DNF - 2 - The Secret Chord; Geraldine Brooks
                Fleishman is in Trouble; Taffy Brodesser-Akner-Akner 

                                                       October Plans (so far)

(REVIEW)







  • (FINISH) The Dearly Beloved; Cara Wall (it's very good but, I've been side-tracked)
  • (FINISH) The Institute; Stephen King's (listening to audio - 18+ hours and almost done)
  • (READ) - The First Mistake; Sandie Jones
  • (READ) - The Whisper Man; Alex North
  • (READ) The Family Upstairs; Lisa Jewell
  •  RIP 14 Challenge runs from September 1 - October 31). I finished (2) of my 4 books, but only reviewed (1) so far. This is my 11th year participating.
  • Hope everyone had a great month!

    27 comments:

    1. Wow! You had a great September! Happy October reading!

      ReplyDelete
    2. You did so awesome for reading!! Happy October!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow, that's awesome! You read way more books than I did. I think I may be coming out of my reading slump though I doubt I'll read that many books even if I do.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Being retired and with all 3 granddaughters in school full time, really gives me more time.

        Delete
    4. Sounds like a really great reading month. It always amazes me to see a list this long and only even recognize one or two of the book titles on it. That proves just how much is being published every week, and it makes me wonder how much good stuff slips right past me.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I know what you mean Sam. It makes me sad that I'll never get to read ALL that I want to in this life.

        Delete
    5. Even with the picture books, that's a lot of books!

      ReplyDelete
    6. You had a great month of reading, even if the book club selection was a DNF!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Impressive list of books. I loved The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, and I want to get my hands on Never Have I Ever.

      Enjoy your October reading.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We do tend to like the same kind of books Laurel. I hope you enjoy, Never Have I Ever.

        Delete
    8. I can't wait to see what you think of Daughter of Moloka'i as I really enjoyed it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I liked the first book better but thought this was very well done. Just wish the time between the 2 books had not been as long.

        Delete
    9. I read picture books in September as well, in part inspired by you!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I am sorry your book club book wasn't a winner for most of your group. At least you had a fun meeting anyway. It looks like you had a great reading month in September. So many high ratings! I really liked The Bookish Life of Nina Hill as well. I hope you have a great October!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, I enjoyed my September reading, except, for the bookclub pick.

        Delete
    11. Wow. Only one person finished the book club choice (The Secret Chord)? That's highly unusual for a book group, isn't it? I've only read one book by Geraldine Brooks, but I'll probably pass on this one. ;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Les, yes, "very unusual" for our group to not have finished the book - it just wasn't a story most of us wanted to invest time in - loads of characters as well.

        Delete
    12. Now that sounds like a great reading month! Hope October is going to be a good one too.

      ReplyDelete
    13. What a great reading month!

      Sorry to hear the book club book didn't work out for you (& many others) - I hope the pick this month proves to be a better success!

      Happy reading in October (I'll be keeping an eye out for your thoughts on The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell).

      ReplyDelete
    14. did you try the Fleishman Is in Trouble? pretty wild but funny in parts. Enjoy your October

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.