Saturday, September 14, 2019

Never Have I Ever; Joshilyn Jackson



AUTHOR:  Joshilyn Jackson
PUBLISHER: William Morrow
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: Florida
FORMAT:  eGalley
RATING - 4/5

Jackson's newest book, Never Have I Ever,  was somewhat of a departure from her earlier southern fiction novels.

This story starts out innocent enough as Amy Whey hosts the book group gang. However, when an unexpected newbie, Angelica Roux (Roux), who is new to the neighborhood shows up, the evening takes a darker turn.

Roux quickly takes over and, as the wine keeps flowing, the guests begin to feel a bit loose-lipped. Roux initiates a game, "Never Have I Ever",  where each person confesses the worst thing they've done that day, past week, past month or in their entire lives.  As uncomfortable secrets are revealed, the game takes a darker turn.

It seems Roux knows a lot more about the hostess, Amy's past than what she has revealed. to those closest to her. Amy has built a nice comfortable life and intends to keep it that way. Just how far will Roux go and just how will Amy deal with her blackmailer?

Told primarily from Amy's POV and moving back and forth in time, this is a psych thriller that moved at a good pace. They story was suspenseful and although some parts seemed a bit unrealistic, the story kept me reading and curious. 

8 comments:

  1. If a book has good characters and a good plot, I can often overlook some unrealistic aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this one but definitely a departure from her other books right? Glad to hear you gave it a good score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like books that keep you reading, that's always such a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on reading this one too. Have not read her other books as yet. They have been on my TBR for a long time. I'm imagining sitting around with other people 'confessing' my worst secrets - not sure I'd do that. No, definitely wouldn't. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have liked the Joshilyn Jackson books I have read. I was once in a writing group that included several reading group members and we set out to co-write a reading group mystery. Needless to say, it never got done but it was fun while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm adding this to my list, thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a review copy of this one early on and then the slump of 2019 hit but I am pushing through all of my books rapidly now. For me, that is the only way to end a slump. Push, push, push.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.