Saturday, September 7, 2019

Give Me Back My Bones! Kim Norman (Illustrated by Bob Kolar)

Give Me Back My Bones!   Kim Norman 
(illustrated by: Bob Kolar)
Candlewick Press - 2019

My middle granddaughter, age 5, likes books that are a bit creepy, so I was pretty sure this one might be a hit.  The timing is perfect for Halloween and yes, "she loved it" as well.

A stormy night, a shipwreck, a pirate skeleton and scattered bones along the ocean floor but, who do these bones belong to? Well, it seems it's the pirate that is missing his bones. Can this poor pirate recover his missing bones?

A fun, quirky and educational story told mostly in rhyme except that the last line on each page actually gives the proper name for that particular bone.  The illustrations are well done, colorful and funny, not scary -- just a tad spooky for Halloween. The book is fun to read out loud and helps children to learn more about bones at the same time. The back of the dust jacket also has great poster that lists each of the skeleton's bones.  (Another winner for ages 5-8 from Candlewick Press)

Cast a spyglass ’round here

while breakers curl and pound here.

There’s treasure to be found here — 
I feel it in my bones!




5 comments:

  1. That looks perfect for Halloween! I'm glad your granddaughter loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she loved it. Looks quirky definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty unique and cool way to teach some things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun book and I love the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute book! Glad your granddaughter like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.