Friday, September 10, 2010

115 - Resurrection in May; Lisa Samson












In Resurrection in May, May Seymour was a young girl without direction. After graduating from college in Kentucky in 1993, and with no job offers in sight, she heads off to Rwanda to work with a mission. While she is there her village is attacked. She is tortured and left for dead, but she is miraculously found, and she is the lone survivor. May is sent back home, a woman forever changed, but the emotional scars run deep.

May ends up spending years on the farm of an elderly gentleman named Claudius Borne. The two met when she was still in college. He picked her up while she was walking home late one night; she was drunk and needed a ride. Claudius has taken May under his wings, now when she is so fragile. She is afraid to leave the farm --her safe haven. Little by little her life improves, and when she learns an old college boyfriend is a death row inmate refusing to appeal his sentence, she is hoping she can convince him to change his mind.

Without giving away spoilers, I'll just say that this book was not what I expected. I didn't realize that this book was in the Christian fiction genre --my fault. The writing was fine, the plot seemed a bit contrived. The plot touches on a variety of topics: genocide, death penalty, PTSD and even college drinking. With themes like faith, hope and redemption, The Resurrection in May is a book steeped in faith, and readers should be aware of that in advance.
RATING - 3/5 (review copy)

8 comments:

  1. The plot seems contrived to me too - I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had any luck with the Christian fiction genre but I'd be willing to take recommendations. This one sounds like I wouldn't rush out to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read one of her books and yes, they are steeped in faith, but I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one kind of sounds like the after school specials that I used to watch growing up with all of the melodramatic problems (with a religious tilt). Not sure if it is my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book takes on several very intense issues, none of which seem to relate to each other, although I know they might in the story. They're several very heavy topics for one story. I'd guess the Christian aspect has a great impact on the novel...no wonder it wasn't what you expected.

    Hopefully it was an interesting reading experience for you because it was a christian fiction book.

    Thanks for this review!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a book by Lisa Samson many years ago when I was in high school. I thought it was okay, but wasn't particularly attached to it.

    The cover of the book confuses me. It doesn't seem that her head is all there. Is her head thrown back?

    - Christy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of dislike preachy books, so this might be one for me to avoid. It stinks that you went into it blind, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad you mentioned the Christian fiction - I think I'll pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.