Tuesday, October 12, 2010

130 - The Halloween Kid; Rhode Montijo


The Halloween Kid by Rhode Montijo is a story about a kid determined to save Halloween when some Greedy Goodie Goblins roll into town. The Kid along with his trusty stick horse,  Lone Ranger mask, is determined to get back at those who ruined Halloween. When the Kid finds his job a little tougher than expected,  the neighbors help out to reclaim the day and the fun.

This book is cute, especially the colorful  illustrations with a retro sort of look. The story too, is a cute one, but I had a issue with the terrible grammar which I'm guessing was meant to be cute, but just really bugged me.

"He wasn't afraid if nothin".
"In fact he done did such a good job at wranglin Halloween Hoodlums, that Halloween was just dandy for years".
If you can get beyond the writing style you most likely will enjoy this book.   Recommended for grades K-2.

Rating - 3.5/5 stars - Library Book

8 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought the bad grammar would be suitable for Grade 2 children to read. Talk about giving them bad habits from a young age. Perhaps it needs a revamp to make it more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a kid that ain't afraid of nothin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure about the grammar in this book either. I does look like a cute book, but I have to say that giving it to a young child might niggle at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun review--I love kids books and since I live in the west the language style wouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda like this one. Parental guidance is needed but I think it's a great way to let kids know that there are many types of people and they all have their style of speakin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my little nephew would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is adorable but I have problems with books that are grammatically incorrect when they are geared towards children. That was my one beef with Winnie the Pooh! All the backward letters, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.