Tuesday, October 19, 2010

133 - Molly's Pilgrim; Barbara Cohen

















In Molly's Pilgrim, Molly is a third grade girl who doesn't feel very thankful as Thanksgiving approaches. Molly came to America from Russia after the Cossacks burned a synagogue in Goraduck. The family, fearing for its safety, came to America to seek a more peaceful life.

In school here, Molly looked a bit different and dressed different. Some of the cruel children at her new school in the US made fun of the way she dressed and the way she spoke. School made Molly sad, and she feared that she would never fit in.

One day near Thanksgiving the teacher assigns the class a project about Pilgrims, and soon the entire class learns a valuable lesson -- all kinds of Pilgrims make Thanksgiving a reason to give thanks.

Molly's Pilgrim is a touching story based on an actual incident experienced by a relative of the author. It's a wonderful story, best enjoyed by second and third graders that teaches children about difference and a lesson in tolerance as well. The black and white illustrations in the hardcover edition are by David Mark Duffy, and they are excellent. The book was originally published in 1998. Recommended

5/5 stars - Library book

10 comments:

  1. My girls all read this when they were younger, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book makes me teary. My mom read it to us when I was younger and it's a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotional bullies are just as bad as physical bullies. Or worst, both types. But I'm glad the kids learned something. It does sound like a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a great story for this time of the year. From the cover, I would have guessed it's older than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a winner and not just for the kids. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the perfect reader for this book, and as she is probably still just a little young to read this on her own, I wouldn't mind helping and getting a chance to read the story for myself! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds like an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this one a while back and really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really heard of this one - how sad of me! I'm going to pick this one to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.