Saturday, March 5, 2011

Marcelo in the Real World; Francisco X. Stork


Title: Marcelo in the Real World
Author: Francisco X Stork
Publication Year: 2009
Publisher: Arthur A Levine Books
Edition: eBook / Kindle
Source: Purchase
Date Completed: 3/5/2011
Setting: Massachusetts and Vermont
Rating: 4/5 stars
Recommend: Yes

Marcelo Sandoval, a high functioning, 17-year-old with Aspergers. Marcelo can hear music in his head, that others do not hear. He's obsessed with religion, so much so that even though his family is Catholic, he meets with a Rabbi friend of his mothers on a regular basis to discuss the Torah and other aspects of religion. Marcelo also has difficulty interacting with others. He attends Patterson, a special school, where he takes pleasure in helping to care for the ponies. Life in Marcelo's world is happy and built on routine.

As summer approaches, Marcelo's father, a prestigious attorney who he calls Arturo, insists that he work in the mail room of his law firm for the summer to see what the "real world" is like. If he is successful, his father tells him that he can make his own decision as to whether her returns to school at Paterson in the fall of whether he goes to high school with other kids.

At the law firm Marcelo meets Jasmine, who tells him what needs to be done. Jasmine seems to be the first outsider who seems to understand him, and knows what he is thinking. She is kind, compassionate and patient with Marcelo, and truly seems to have a gift of working those who need a little more attention. While working Marcelo comes across a photo of a disfigured girl who was injured as the result of the negligence of one of his father’s biggest clients. Marcelo becomes obsessed with this case and is determined to learn more about the case and the girl, and bit by bit the pieces of the case are revealed. Marcelo learns to follow his heart and mind, and to do what feels right, even when others at the law firm try to take advantage of him.

Marcelo in the Real World, is a realistic story of what some aspects of life, must be like for someone with Aspergers. The author has created a truly believable character in Marcelo. His summer in the "real world", told from his point of view, becomes one that truly transforms him. Although it was painful at times to see him outside of this safety zone, and to be forced to deal with uncomfortable social interactions, it was also wonderful to see him make progress from his previously sheltered existence as well. Marcelo's compassion, and instinct shows through again and again.

13 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much! And then I went and read every other Stork book I could find and loved them also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty interesting and the cover is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the wonderful opportunity of working with many children and some of them have Aspergers. I've truly been meaning to read this one. I must make time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this on my radar for a while, so I'm glad to see you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one, too. Have you read The Last Summer of the Death Warriors? I haven't, but it's sort of on my mental list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered this book and started the first chapter on Friday! I'm glad to see you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one too. It was a bit cheesy in places, but as my son has Aspergers I like any book that promotes knowledge of the condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie,

    Aspergers does seem more common now for some reason. My coworker's daughter and my old bosses nephew have been diagnosed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that this book sounds so interesting. It has been on my wishlist for awhile now...I really need to pick it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep hearing about this book and so want to read it. I think it sounds eye-opening and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know someone with Aspergers, and think that this book sounds fascinating. I also think it would help me in understanding my friend better. This was a wonderful review and I am adding this to my list. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard of this book (where have I been??), and it sounds fantastic. I'm going to have to check this one out, might need to download this one soon on my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have not heard of this book, but definitely on I will be checking out. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.