Thursday, March 24, 2011

Night Flight; Robert Burleigh and Wendell Minor



Title: Night Flight
Author: Robert Burleigh and Wendell Minor
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Edition: Hardcover
Source: sent by Publisher
Date Completed: 3/22/2011
Setting: n/a
Rating: 5/5 stars
Recommend: Yes

Night Flight is a wonderful biographical picture book which details Amelia Earhart's solo transatlantic flight in May of 1932.  The flight began in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland on a red Vega plane.  The story of this courageous woman, and her love of trying new things will be etched in the reader's mind.  Whether it was roller skating, riding roller coasters, or horses barebacked, Amelia wasn't afraid to try new things.

In vivid detail, the author descibes the "shimmering clouds", "mountains like wrinkles in the earth" and cities which appeared like "toy blocks" while she flew high in the sky.  Her flight was not an easy one as she found herself caught in a raging storm, and the engine of her plane grew "slugglish".  Some may ask, why would a woman in the early 1930's do what Ameila Earhart did? "Because, women must try to do things as men have tried".

The story is well-written and educational, and one that should stay with the reader. The illustrator, Wendell Minor has won numerous awards for dozens of picture books. The vivid blue sky, red Vega plane and billowy clouds will stay with me.  This book should be a part of school and public library collections everywhere.

7 comments:

  1. How fascinating! I've been interested in Amelia Earhart, right since I was a kid.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one..the cover art is great and I'm sure the inside illustrations were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover alone lets me know my day care kids will love this one. I'm going to have to get this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a beautiful book. I've always been fascinated by Amelia Earhart, I can't imagine why kids these days wouldn't feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love childrens and middle readers that tell historical events in an entertaining way. This one is going on my to-buy list for the kids' book shelves!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.