Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bossypants; Tina Fey

Title: Bossypants
Author: Tina Fey
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Edition: audio book 
Reader: Author
Source: Library
Date Completed: 7/24/2011 
Setting: n/a
Rating: 4/5
Recommend: yes

I've always enjoyed memoirs, and when I heard about Bossypants back in April, I knew that only the audio book would do for me - after all, it's read by the author herself, and with Tina's terrific sense of humor, I suspected I would be pleased.  My first intro to Tina Fey was during the last presidential campaign when her humor landed her major accolades as a Sarah Palin impersonator. I thought she was awesome in this role, and I have been a fan of hers ever since.

In her memoir, she begins by telling us how she was a "change of life baby", and the fact that she grew up in Philadelphia. She shocks us by saying that she was slashed in an alley by a stranger as a young child, but chooses not to elaborate on what happened!  She then goes on to share stories about growing up, a memorable story about her father and his Greek heritage and his quirks. There are also stories about her mother, brother, school, a honeymoon cruise nightmare, jobs she held and the difficulties faced by women in her field. Well,  you get the picture.

One thing  that shines through again and again is Fey's sarcastic sense of humor. At times I found myself laughing out loud as I was driving in my car.  I'm sure people who saw me at traffic lights must have thought I was smoking something.  Because I was listening to the book rather than reading it, I do not recall all of essay titles, except her intro essay, "Origin" - how Tina Fey came about as a "change of life baby".

Although I did enjoy this audio book, at times I felt the essays just seemed too scattered, not following in particular order, and sometimes like a stand-up comedy act where random thoughts might come to mind.  Despite this, I would still recommend this audio book to anyone who needs a good laugh. Fans of David Sedaris, will likely enjoy this book. - Recommended

22 comments:

  1. I read a print version of this and kind of wish I'd listened to the audio. I really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around and so far most people have enjoyed it. I can see how hearing the audio can be even more funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the print version, but really thought about getting the audio, because I love Fey's delivery. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one downloaded onto my iPod. I need to get to this because I think it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually avoid celebrities' memoirs, but I LOVE Tina Fey so much that I really want to read this. The great thing is that I have only heard good things about the book till now. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been curious about this one. I enjoy her comedy a lot and had a feeling the book would be entertaining. Now that I know Tina narrates the book herself, audio will be the choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know her but it does sound a little entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, I read this and enjoyed it, not so much the part about her growing up, but breaking into comedy was interesting. I still love David Sedaris' writing much more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard good things about this book. It seems like one that I could read one essay at a time in between books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love David Sedaris on audio... may just give this a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few audible credits and think that I am going to grab this one when I can and get listening. I have heard so many good things about it, and since I love me some Sedaris, I think it would be a great read/listen for me. I am glad that you liked it and look forward to seeing what I think of it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a fan of celebrities or memoirs but if it is sarcastic..that might win me over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason this book is not on my TBR list but I'm sure I'll read it someday. I just listened to a review yesterday where it was mentioned that she turns to laughter just when a story gets deep. Not sure if this is true... did you pick up on this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Mari, there were a few parts that seemed like special moments in her life and then she joked about it instead of elaborating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Tina Fey! Listening to the author read their own work is usually so much better than an interpretation by an actor. And, if I listen to the audio, I don't have to look at the cover. That picture just freaks me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know why, but most stand-up comedians' humor doesn't click with me in print the same way as on tv. I'm sure the audiobook version helps with that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my friends read this recently and loved it. She deliberately read other books between chapters in order to stretch this one out -- she liked it so much she didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like something I'd like, I love a good laugh, so thanks for the encouragement on this one. Thanks for stopping by: I actually did enjoy Silas Marner, I thought it was wonderful. It was years ago in school that I didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O.K. maybe I need to listen to this one...especially if she reads it. Then I'm sure that I would enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was fun but I agree with you that it feels a bit scattered. Still it is worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big Tina fan. Can't believe I haven't read this one already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.