Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Game of Secrets; Dawn Tripp

Author: Dawn Tripp
Publication Year: 2011 
Publisher: Random House
Edition: Hardcover
Source: sent by publisher
Date Completed: 7/4/2011 
Setting: New England
Rating: 5/5
Recommend: yes

In Game of Secrets, the lives of two women, two families are tied forever by a unsolved crime and secrets of the past.  In 1957, Luce Weld, father to (12) year old Jane disappeared.  Luce was a womanizer who had been having an affair with Ada Varick. Ada was married to Silas at that time, but left her husband the year her son Ray was born.  What exactly happened to Luce, is unknown, however in the 1960's a skull with bullet hole in it was found, and it townspeople suspected it could have been Luce.

Now in 2004, Jane still has never really gotten over the disappearance of her father.  Her relationship with her own adult daughter, Marne, who has just returned back to New England from California, has suffered as well.  Marne, soon begins a relationship with Asa's son Ray.  Jane, now 60, and Asa, 80, meet for weekly Scrabble games. Initially, not much is discussed about the past, or the affair between Asa and Jane's father, but little by little a power play with words over a weekly board game brings the details of the past to the forefront.

This novel has it all, a mystery with an addictive plot and plot twists, complex characters, a scandalous affair, complete with details of clandestine meetings. Literary thriller fans will enjoy this creative work.  I was hooked from the very beginning, and I was able to read this book in just one afternoon. It is certainly one of the best literary thrillers, that I've read in a while.

36 comments:

  1. I love literary thrillers and good ones can be hard to find. You've certainly piqued my interest with your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful read to me and it is going on my wishlist for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literary thrillers are right up my alley. I enjoy books with lots of twists and complex characters. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound quite thrilling, Diane. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second what Kathy said! I also love literary thrillers and this one sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds intense and captivating. Glad you enjoyed it. Strangely enough, I now want to play Scrabble...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have unusual books! this sounds so very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm adding this to my list after reading: literary thriller, and that you read it in just one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a new one to me. I'm putting it on my list and I thank you for telling about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely another for my wish list... there are days when nothing but a good thriller will do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely check this one out, sounds like one I would enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I probably would have passed by this book at the library or bookstore because of the cover. I would never have guessed that there's such an intriguing story hiding inside. Thanks for reminding me not to judge a book by it's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds wonderful! I'm adding this on my fall TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for such a glowing review of Game of Secrets. What a gift! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really good. On my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read a literary thriller in awhile, and this one sounds like it would definitely be worth my time. I am glad to hear that you loved it, and will be looking out for my own copy. Thanks for the excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love literary thrillers and books set in New England, so this one sounds perfect. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I don't recall seeing it anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds absolutely wonderful - mystery, history and a 'power play with words'.

    I've added Game of Secrets to my TBR list.

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a new to me title. I don't read many thrillers but this one is definitely going on my tbr list. It must be really good of you read it in one afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I'm not normally into literary thrillers and this one sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a good literary thriller. I haven't read one in a long while. It's hard to find a good one without it teetering over into mystery (which I don't care for too much).

    ReplyDelete
  22. 5 out of 5 and set in New England...oh, I am tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This one sounds excellent! I'm on vacation visiting my daughter and little grandson while trying to read "Woman in White" (and not succeeding much) but this is definitely going on the list for this summer! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like an excellent book. Will add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely wonderful!
    Thanks, I truly enjoyed the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks great! Definitely on my list! Thanks ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds great to me and onto the list it goes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds really great. I've added it to my TBR! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not much of a thriller reader, but this does sound pretty good. I will have to keep it mind should the mood strike.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds absolutely fascinating! I loved the line in your review "...a power play with words over a weekly board game...". That alone is enticement enough but this book has so much more to draw us in.
    Thank you for a great review, Diane. I'm putting this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! You make it sound so good. I really want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just for the fact that the scrabble game helped unravel the past makes this one sound really good! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds good and your rating convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. A one afternoon book - must be good! I do enjoy literary thrillers quite a bit so I'll have to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for introducing me to this book. It sounds excellent. I'm putting it on my TBR list right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.