Title: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Author: Haruki Murakami
Publication Year: 2006
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Edition: audio book
Reader: Patrick Lawlor and Ellen Archer ( good)
Date Completed: 7/27/2011
Rating: 4/5Recommend: yes
I listened to this collection back in July but never wrote a review. Looking over my notes, I thought I'd share my impression.
In true Murakami style, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman is a collection of some (24) short stories which ranges from very real situations to extremely surreal experiences; most of which were well done. I found the (2) audio book readers appealing, but noticed a few reviewers who listened to the audio version were not fond of the readers presentations.
Some of my favorite stories were -
- The Birthday Girl - about a 20 year-old woman (The Birthday Girl) working as a waitress in a Tokyo restaurant. The owner, which no one except the manager has ever seen lives upstairs for the restaurant. Every night at 8pm the manager delivers the exact same dinner to the owner. On this particular night the manager goes home ill, and the waitress must deliver the owner's meal. What occurs felt magical and left me satisfied.
- The Rise and Fall of Sharpie Cakes - a recommendation to change the recipe for Sharpie cakes is left for the Company Crows - yes real crows - left to decide which cake they preferred, the new or old recipe. Left me with a huge smile
- Nausea 1979 - What does vomiting and crank calls have in common? In this story a man vomits for 40 days and 40 nights, and then suddenly the calls and vomit stops. - Yes a pretty gross theme for a short story, but so well done it was laughable.
- Man Eating Cats - from a cat lover, this was probably my least favorite.
- Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - good
- New York Mining Disaster - good
- Airplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself
- The Mirror (good)
- A Folklore for My Generation
- A Pre-History of Late-Stage Capitalism
- Hunting Knife
- A Perfect Day for Kangaroos (fun)
- Dabchick (very good)
- A Poor Aunt Story - (very good)
- The Seventh Man
- Crab (gross)
- The Year of Spaghetti
- Toni Takitari (very good)