Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph (s) Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

This week's selection:


" At the end of the night that would change everything, the widow stood on her porch and watched  as the young woman was marched down her front drive and shoved into the sedan.  The girl did not fight back, bound and tied as she was, nor did she cry out into the chill autumn rain, so surely the doctor and his attendants thought they had won.  They did not know, as the car doors slammed shut, the engine came on, and the driver steered them down the muddy hill toward the road, that the widow and the girl in the backseat had just defied them right under their noses.  The widow waited until the taillights reached the bottom of the drive, then turned and entered her house.  And as she stood at the foot of the staircase, hoping they'd show mercy to the young woman and worrying about the whereabouts of the runaway man, the widow heard the sound the doctor hadn't been seeking.  It was the sound that would always connect her to the girl and forever make her remember the man.  It was the sweet, deep breaths of a hidden person. A sleeping stranger. A baby."

 Would you read this one based on the first paragraph intro?

22 comments:

  1. That opening really grabs me. I'd definitely continue. Hope you're enjoying...

    My intro from The Bluest Eye:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2011/09/tuesday-intro-bluest-eye.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this intro a lot. It definitely grabs me. For some reason, though, I'm thinking I passed over this book. Obviously it wasn't because of the opening. Here's My First Paragraph Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fantastic opening paragraph. It absolutely makes me want to know who they are and what happens to them. And then there's a baby . . . ?

    I've been curious about this book every time I see it at the bookstore. It may just have to come home with me next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very spooky. It is intriguing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening sounds great. I love the cover, it reminds me of The Bride of New France. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still not sure. I think it's good, but I thought it was somewhat rambling. I might have to read the second paragraph to decide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like this one has some surprises in store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on that paragraph I would be intrigued enough to pick this book up. I've heard from a few people that it's really good too. I'll be looking for your final thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first chapter's firt paragraph: http://abigailannreading.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-chapter-first-paragraph-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is a terrific, gripping first paragraph...it definitely gets my attention. I would continue reading based on this.


    I actually won a copy of this book but never received it despite repeated emails to the publsiher/publicist. Disappointing but it happens! I look forward to your thoughts on this book, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great intro, definitely grabs my attention.

    My intro is from India Black and the Widow of Windsor: http://wp.me/pmP4i-3i0

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this book. It was so wonderful. I did a review of it too. I highly recommend this book to many of my readers and friends. Great read with great detail. Rachel Simon is a nice author as well, very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly makes me curious.
    This is mine:
    http://the-book-addict.blogspot.com/2011/09/tuesday-intros-remains-of-day-by-kazuo.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. ready to add it to my wish list :)

    here's mine - it's not as good but the book was

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I would read this book. It was the hook that drew me in right away. Thanks for this intro and hope you are enjoying your week so far. It's been a bit rainy in VA but looks like the sun is trying to peak through right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I would...what a great opening!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes! I would keep reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heck yes!! That is a great opening! I immediately wanted to know what was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. fyi:

    my intro was reviewed here and you're right, the intro doesn't quite do it.

    My teaser was reviewed too




    my intro was reviewed

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your kindness-It has been a sad week of passing-just found out one of my doctors wandered off into the desert and died. I think he may have been going senile. Quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This intro is fascinating. I would continue on reading to understand it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.