Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph ~ Tuesday Intros

Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

This week's selection was released last week:

ACE Books, New York
(The first page of the first chapter is mostly short dialogue, so I'm posting the first paragraph of the intro)
"He came out to see me in the cage because I belonged to him. I was like a new racehorse he still found interesting enough to visit at night, when the others were asleep. He sat there cross-legged on the wet ground, unmindful of the light rain which was falling on him.  It wasn't enough to extinguish his cigar, but it was enough to keep my ruined back waterlogged; enough to make me think my bones were made of cold pewter."
"I had drifted in and out. He might have been there an hour before I noticed him."
 "You're going to die out here, he said."
"He didn't say it to frighten me."
"He just said it."
  Does this opening draw you in?
(me, yes - just enough of the creep factor)
(Here's an overview in case you are interested)

Failed academic Frank Nichols and his wife, Eudora, have arrived in the sleepy Georgia town of Whitbrow, where Frank hopes to write a history of his family's old estate-the Savoyard Plantation- and the horrors that occurred there. At first, the quaint, rural ways of their new neighbors seem to be everything they wanted. But there is an unspoken dread that the townsfolk have lived with for generations. A presence that demands sacrifice.

It comes from the shadowy woods across the river, where the ruins of Savoyard still stand. Where a longstanding debt of blood has never been forgotten.

A debt that has been waiting patiently for Frank Nichols's homecoming...

19 comments:

  1. This tantalizing "teaser" makes me want to know why he/shi/it is in a cage and what the dreadful thing is across the river. Sounds like a good suspense book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy, yes. Curious, yes. Would I read it? I hate books with violence. I'm such a wimp. Why can't we all just get along? I'll wait and read your review.
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This paragraph is very sad and filled me with a little bit of dread. I'm not sure I want to continue reading although this is an intriguing opening.

    I'll be interested in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like another very good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy doobies this one sounds creepy! I would totally read this one based on your first paragraph, and can't wait to hear what you think of it when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds a bit too creepy for me! Sounds like it might have 'Wicker Man' influences.

    This is mine - a story of sex, death and art - a perfect combination!

    http://the-book-addict.blogspot.com/2011/09/tuesday-intros-birth-of-venus-by-sarah.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Diane, I don't know if my comment didn't go earlier, but... like Amy, I'd feel too apprehensive to keep reading. I can't stand to read about cruelty. I'll watch for your review.
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover and yes, adding to my wishlist!

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the kind of book that draws you in and keeps you up all night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right about the creep factor. I'll watch for this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creepy indeed, and enough to make me curious. But "Your going to die" instead of "You're going to die" in the opening paragraph is enough to push me away... where is the editor?

    My intro this week is the R.I.P. group read:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2011/09/tuesday-intro-house-of-seven-gables.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does sound suspenseful. I'd read it based on this intro.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I'm a bit creeped out but I want to know what is going on and who is in the cage!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.