Tuesday, September 18, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


For today's First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro, I'm featuring a book I began yesterday. I haven't seen this one blogged about, but I want to say that I am enjoying it so far.
 

Feel free to join in by posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few ) of a book you decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Grab the banner and play along. 

Faber and Faber - July 2012

"The police were involved over the trouble.  They had to be.  But I didn't think of them as the police at first.  As an eight-year-old boy I expected uniforms, flashing lights and handcuffs.  Speeding cars and the glimpse of a gun.  Instead there was this woman in a business suit who drove a grey car slowly and always smelt of coffee.  She told me to call her Tracy, but I never called a grown-up by their first name before and couldn't bring myself to do it.  I tried, but it felt as impossible as saying 'fuck' in front of my mum, or jumping off a wall that was too high.  I teetered on the edge a few times but my brain wouldn't make my mouth form the correct shape and I ended up calling her 'Miss' instead.  'Tracy', she said, the first few times, but after a while she shook her head and gave up."

Would you keep reading?

20 comments:

  1. I like that cover and your intro is enough to make me look read this book..

    My intro is from Hurrah's Nest by Arisa White

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the narrator's voice, so now I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the narrator's voice, too. Haven't seen this one around yet - now I'm curious.

    Here's mine:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/09/tuesday-intro-city-of-women.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd definitely keep reading as I am curious about why the police were there to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely keep reading as well. I'm very interested now in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to find out what the trouble is. Sounds like a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good start. I like the voice of the little boy.

    This week I am reading a book that I have waited awhile for The Stranger in the Room by Amanda Kyle Williams. I enjoyed the first in the series and have heard good things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so turned off by bad language these days I would not continue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have to read a little bit more before committing to this one. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is definitely a book that I would keep reading. So many unanswered questions posed in that first paragraph! I do hope you continue with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. not really my kind of book, but does sound pretty interesting. Hope you enjoy it.
    Here is mine this week
    Tuesday Teaser and Intros

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonder what the 'trouble' may be???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see how that first paragraph would be a hook to read more. I too want to know what the troubles are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see how that first paragraph would be a hook to read more. I too want to know what the troubles are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first paragraph and the cover have me interested. I would want to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm intrigued but I have a hard time buying this as a voice of an 8-year old boy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.