Monday, September 3, 2012

RIP VII now through October 31, 2012


Once again, it's time for Carl's annual RIP event. Thanks Carl. I know many of you look forward to this challenge every fall (this is my 5th year).  Although there are several different levels of participation, I'm sticking with Peril the First (read 4 books that fit the challenge between, September 1st and October 31st).

Here's my list -- I plan to read at least (4) of these (10) chill-thrill books:   
  1.  The Beautiful  Mystery; Louise Penny 4/5 stars
  2. Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn - 3/5 stars (completed) 
  3. In the Woods;Tana French - (Book # 1 of 4 series) - As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

    Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox — his partner and closest friend — find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.
  4. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest; Stieg Larrsen- (Book #3 of series) - Lisbeth Salander—the heart of Larsson’s two previous novels—lies in critical condition, a bullet wound to her head, in the intensive care unit of a Swedish city hospital. She’s fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she’ll be taken back to Stockholm to stand trial for three murders. With the help of her friend, journalist Mikael Blomkvist, she will not only have to prove her innocence, but also identify and denounce those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she will plot revenge—against the man who tried to kill her, and the corrupt government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life.
  5. Darkside; Belinda Bauer - 3/5 stars (completed) 
  6. The Human Bobby; Gabe Rotter - 4.5/5 stars (completed)
  7. Broken Harbor; Tana French - 4.5/5 stars (completed)
  8. In the Tall Grass; Stephen King and Joe Hill 3.5/5 stars (completed)
  9. Faithful Place; Tana French - Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.
  10. The Distant Hours - Kate Morton -  It starts with a letter, lost for half a century and unexpectedly delivered to Edie’s mother on a Sunday afternoon. The letter leads Edie to Milderhurst Castle, where the eccentric Blythe spinsters live and where, she discovers, her mother was billeted during World War II. The elder Blythe sisters are twins and have spent most of their lives caring for their younger sister, Juniper, who hasn’t been the same since her fiancĂ© jilted her in 1941. Inside the decaying castle, Edie searches for her mother’s past but soon learns there are other secrets hidden in its walls. The truth of what happened in “the distant hours” has been waiting a long time for someone to find it. In this enthralling romantic thriller, Morton pays homage to the classics of gothic fiction, spinning a rich and intricate web of mystery, suspense, and lost love.

Have you read any of these? Where shall I begin?

18 comments:

  1. I love all of your choices and even have read a few and want to read a couple of others!! Have fun with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices - I love Tana French's books. Also enjoyed Gone Girl and Darkside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these books but they are all mystery-who-dun-its which is my type of reading. Good luck on reading them all. I think you'll be burning the midnight oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a list! how does one choose. Gone Girl, then the Tana French then the Bauer book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look like some good, dark reads! Enjoy the RIPing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the Woods is fantastic. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved In the Woods and the Girl who kicked the hornets nest, and I'm reading gone girl right now - so far so good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched The Girl..Tattoo so I'd start with hornets nest. I've finished my first RIP book, Beautiful Sacrifice. A romantic suspense by Elizabeth Lowell, scary enough to count, sexy enough to read at night.

    The FBI-type man is looking for a drug lord into blood sacrifice, human blood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the whole Lisbeth Salander series, Gone Girl is awesome and The Human Bobby is super as well! You've got a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent choices!!! Gone Girl is great. The Human Bobby is great. In the Woods is great. The Salander books are great. You have a darn good reading list. I bet you'll want to read more Tana French and Gillian Flynn when you finish those books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound like great choices. I keep seeing Gone Girl. I'm going to have to read that one soon.

    I'm doing Peril the Second. I started Little Stranger yesterday for the Group Read at the Estella Society.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 5 years! Wow! It still blows my mind how long this has been going on. In some ways it seems like just yesterday I posted this for the first time. It was my first ever hosted challenge and I was so nervous it would be a flop. Instead it has grown and been embraced by folks like you and now it is all yours and I couldn't be happier.

    Look forward to your thoughts on your reads, hope you enjoy each one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I love Belinda Bauer's book (but don't know this new one yet). Gone Girl has been popular and Stieg Larsson's books are really good.

    Have a good time with RIP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun choices! I liked the Tana French quite a lot and my husband just finished and really liked Gone Girl. You'll be doing some good reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Gone Girl and The Distant Hours; I hope you enjoy them! Gone Girl is a psychological thriller and The Distant Hours is a languid, Gothic tale. It depends on what mood you're in, but I would definitely suggest startin with either one of them. Gone Girl is a quick read, however, whereas Kate Morton, as she usually can be, is much more for that quiet, rainy afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved all of Tana French's books (still waiting to read her new release) and Gone Girl is fantastic. You've got a great list to choose from.

    I hadn't planned to join in this year since I fail miserably at challenges, but I got a gentle nudge and decided to go for it. Now to get my rear off the computer and go listen to The Passage!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy the challenge. I always get loads of great recommendations during RIP time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.