Thursday, March 27, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - Frog Music; Emma Donoghue

While trying to prioritize my lengthy list of new books coming out in 2014, I decided to try a new feature on my blog. I'm hoping this idea will hopefully serve a few purposes: keep me focused on books I'd like to read, give a little PR to the authors (especially new authors) who worked so hard getting published, and to let other readers know about books that will be hitting the book stores soon (within the next 90 days).
 
Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for today 



 Frog Music; Emma Donoghue
April 1, 2014 - Little Brown and Company
(Description)

From the author of the worldwide bestseller Room: "Her greatest achievement yet...Emma Donoghue shows more than range with FROG MUSIC--she shows genius." -- Darin Strauss, author of Half a Life

Summer of 1876: San Francisco is in the fierce grip of a record-breaking heat wave and a smallpox epidemic. Through the window of a railroad saloon, a young woman named Jenny Bonnet is shot dead.

The survivor, her friend Blanche Beunon, is a French burlesque dancer. Over the next three days, she will risk everything to bring Jenny's murderer to justice--if he doesn't track her down first. The story Blanche struggles to piece together is one of free-love bohemians, desperate paupers, and arrogant millionaires; of jealous men, icy women, and damaged children. It's the secret life of Jenny herself, a notorious character who breaks the law every morning by getting dressed: a charmer as slippery as the frogs she hunts.

In thrilling, cinematic style, FROG MUSIC digs up a long-forgotten, never-solved crime. Full of songs that migrated across the world, Emma Donoghue's lyrical tale of love and bloodshed among lowlifes captures the pulse of a boom town like no other.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this sound like a book you might add to your wish list?

13 comments:

  1. I found Room to be fascinating and at the same time so very difficult to read. I did finish it though although it was tough at most times to get through. This new one sounds very good and I'd definitely like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound excellent. (I am still reading Room, though, which I began months ago, and then lent to someone else!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much looking forward to this one! I really liked her other historical set book Slammerkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one that I will probably look at on Amazon or in my local bookstore and settle down to read a bit before I actually purchase ... I find that I have to 'preview' writing styles to see if they are a good match for my reading tastes ... does that make sense? For instance, all the hoopla about Donna Tartt's The Secret History got to me, but when I picked that book up and tried getting into it, I was stymied. It was something about the way she told her story and her writing style that made me yawn and want to shake the book and shout, "Get on with it!' Neil Gaiman's style of putting out the story in American Gods creeped me out. It took me a couple times approaching the book to get into the right mindset for the book ... I guess i'm getting weird about my reading tastes. Earlier in life, I could devour any style or genre. Now, I have to work at it ...

    PS ... Sorry for the ramble ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Room so I've had my eye on this one. I'll definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been on my wish list for a while. Everyone seems to be loving this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really looking forward to reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just put this one on hold at the library but it has yet to come out so it is going to be a little bit of a wait. I did not like Room. I think I was one of the few that took issue with it but I am willing to give her another go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm lucky enough to have been invited to the UK launch of this book on Sunday. I'm so excited! Let's hope it is as good as Room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked Room so I'll probably give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, frogs do get thing hopping so it mine be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've already added it and I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.