Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Signature of All Things; Elizabeth Gilbert

The Signature of All Things; Elizabeth Gilbert
Penguin Audio - 2013

I initially passed on this novel when it was first being pitched, but after reading several rave reviews, I decided to give it a try.  The audio version read by Juliet Stevenson was a treat to listen to. I caught myself smiling often and even chuckling at times while listening at work.

A historical novel which spans several continents ( Philadelphia, London, Peru, Tahiti and even Amsterdam), the research and detail was certainly impressive.

Alma Whittaker was born in 1800, the only living child born to a Dutch mother, Beatrice and British father, Henry. Her father made his money, traveling far and wide at an early age, importing exotic plants to America. Alma grew up on a vast estate, White Acres, in Philadelphia with strict parents of both wealth and intelligence. A rather plain looking girl, Alma grew up curious about life and with a passion for botany. Her parents push her to excel and moss is what eventually gets her excited, well moss and frequent trips to the binding closet once she realized how much she enjoyed spending time there -- you have to read the book to understand what makes Alma tick.

When it's pretty clear early on that potential suitors will not be pounding on Alma's door. She spends time and energy on botany research. When a younger man named Ambrose Pike visits White Acre, Alma finds herself attracted to him. Although they are very different -- he artistic and quite spiritual, the two do share a passion for plants. Ambrose is the creator of a collection of beautiful botanical lithographs. At 48, Alma marries Ambrose, but unfortunately, Alma's expectations for what her wedding night might be like doesn't pan out.  As a result, she feels humiliated and their sexless marriage is short-lived. Alma sends Ambrose off to Tahiti to work on one of her father's plantations. When Ambrose, dies unexpectedly, she's obsessed with finding out more about the real Ambrose. Traveling to Tahiti to learn more about the man she had married, and she has some sleuthing success but nearly drowns while in Tahiti in the process.

The novel is long, 500 pages and 16+ hours on audio. It was a bit slow at times, but it's full of interesting and fully fleshed characters and a few quirky ones as well.  Hanneke de Groot, Alma's former Governess was a favorite of mine; her advice and wisdom was refreshing. Her adopted sister Prudence was another character I respected and admired. Alma, of course was a piece of work, yet her character made the novel work so well.  Who would have though a story about a woman with a passion for moss could be so interesting and well written. So happy I spent time with this novel. READ IT!

4.5/5 stars 
(library audio)

17 comments:

  1. My local bookseller raved about this book but I've heard mixed reviews. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A passion for moss!

    I'm glad you enjoyed this audio book. I have enjoyed Elizabeth Gilbert's work before and would probably like this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that you decided to try this one. It was my favourite 2013 release. I never found it slow, but I was even fascinated by the moss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this at the beginning of the year and thoroughly enjoyed it! I had never read Anne Gilbert before so it was a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your review. I've seen this book on other blogs and was curios, but did not pick it up. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the audio version, too. The Tahiti portion got a little slow for me, but Stevenson;s narration carried me along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need to read this one. Everyone is saying such great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read a book by this author yet. This one sounds interesting though. Moss? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see this author around everywhere, but have never tried her. Should do so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on the fence with this one but think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read this! I really, really do. I haven't read any Gilbert and have no intentions of reading Eat Pray Love. Which is totally judgy of me. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting (and a little weird) premise. I like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure sounds like she is an interesting and complex character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Elizabeth Gilbert's memoirs but I've been wondering if her fiction holds up. 500 pages is a lot, but glad to see it is mostly enjoyable the whole time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely going to read this just have to decide between print and audio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to get this on audio from my library!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed this one! I wasn't a huge fan of Eat, Pray, Love - though it was fine - but this was very different. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.