Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Someday; Alison McGhee


Someday; Alison McGhee (author) Peter Reynolds (illustrator)
Atheneum Books - 2007
(My Thoughts)

Oh my goodness, what a special book. This is book that is definitely more for mothers than it is for little ones.  It's a book that will make many mothers (new and old) tear up when they read it. It's a wonderful story that beautifully sums up what most mothers will or have experienced raising a child from infancy to later life.
Beautiful, touching verse dispersed through pages of pen & ink pastel watercolor drawings done by Peter Reynolds. It's one of those rare books that will be read, tucked away, and reread once again at a time when mothers feel that pull, back to days gone by. It's a book that would make a wonderful gift for a new mom, old moms and grandmothers alike.  If you haven't seen this one, take a peek. (5/5 stars - personal copy)
One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one.
One day the first snowflakes fell, and I held you up and watched them melt on your baby skin.
One day we crossed the street, and you held my hand tight.
Then, you were my baby, and now you are my child.
Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream,
and I dream too…

That someday you will dive into the cool, clear water of a lake.
Someday you will walk into a deep wood.
Someday your eyes will be filled with a joy so deep that they shine.
Someday you will run so fast and so far your heart will feel like fire.
Someday you will swing high — so high, higher than you ever dared to swing.
Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow.
Someday you will call a song to the wind, and the wind will carry your song away.
Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you.
Someday you will look at this house and wonder how something that feels so big can look so small.
Someday you will feel a small weight against your strong back.
Someday I will watch you brushing your child’s hair.
Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun.


And when that day comes, love, you will remember me.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds so delightful! I know just the person to gift it to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sure I'd cry if I tried to read that to a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely review! I definitely want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so sweet. I have several books like this that I want to read way more often than Gage does :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'd cry before the end of the book. Thanks for telling us about it, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful book. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me cry just seeing the pictures and reading the words you posted. It reminds me a little bit of the Robert Munsch book - Love You Forever. I cried every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a sweet book. Makes me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave this book to my mother for Morhers Day about 5 years ago (I'm 40!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I choked up just reading your review. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this sounds so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.