Tuesday, March 18, 2014

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intro - The Year She Left Us; Kathryn Ma

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us? Today's pick is a book that will be released in May.

 The Year She Left Us; Kathryn Ma
Harper Collins - May 2014

"Lucky girl.  That's what I was told from the first moment I can remember.  Another stranger, smelling unlike my mother, would swoop in low with a scary-wide smile to ruffle my hair or pinch my cheek.  I would shrink and scamper, hide my face in my mother's knees, hear them laughing at my baby shyness.  Later, I stared, black-eyed and baleful.  I hated to be reminded.  Hello, Ariadne.  What a lucky little girl.  Now you have a family.  I'm  the one who's lucky my mother would always chirp.  She knew my fell looks, was afraid of my eruptions, my locked face and the storms that followed.  When left alone, I would say please and thank you.  When prompted to be grateful, I went gleefully mute."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.
 

24 comments:

  1. Yes, I would continue. The intro raises questions that I am curious about. Enjoy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, certainly interesting. I would like to know what's going on with her and got a feeling she might not always be so lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what this little girl's problem is. I'd have to keep reading to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds a little creepy but I would check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have to read the plot summary as well, but I think I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one and am eager to read it. Am interested in books by and about Asian Americans!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very intriguing... I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds interesting. I wonder who left? Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am curious. I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting...I'm not sure if it's for me but I would try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would continue reading this book. I'm curious to find out what the story is all about.
    Thank you, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been seeing this book all over lately, and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would keep reading because this one is on my list to read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was is on my list, so I do want to keep reading! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is already in my TBR pile so yes, I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would keep reading. I look forward to reading your final thoughts on this one, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the openng is interesting and the title has me hooked. thanks for stopping by today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny, I passed on this book but the first paragraph intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of this one before. I'd have to read a bit more before deciding. No Tuesday post for me this week, will rejoin next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have to read a little more before deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This drew me in, I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.