Thursday, April 16, 2015

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You - The Book of Speculation; Erika Swyler

I love when I come across a debut author's book that I'm anxious to try. Here's one that sounds a bit different and fun to me.

St. Martin's Press - June 2015

(Description)

I came across this book at auction as part of a larger lot I purchased on speculation. The damage renders it useless to me, but a name inside it led me to believe it might be of interest to you or your family....
Simon Watson, a young librarian, lives alone in a house that is slowly crumbling toward the Long Island Sound. His parents are long dead. His mother, a circus mermaid who made her living by holding her breath, drowned in the very water his house overlooks. His younger sister, Enola, ran off to join the circus six years ago.
One June day, an old book arrives on Simon's doorstep. Fragile and water damaged, the book is a log from the owner of a traveling carnival in the 1700s, who reports strange and magical things-including the drowning death of a circus mermaid. Since then, generations of "mermaids" in Simon's family have drowned-always on July 24, which is only weeks away.
As his friend Alice looks on with alarm, Simon becomes increasingly worried about his sister. Could there be a curse on Simon's family? What does it have to do with the book, and can he stop it in time to save Enola?
The Book of Speculation is Erika Swyler's gorgeous and moving debut, a wondrous novel about the power of books, family, and magic.

12 comments:

  1. I saw this book recently and thought it sounded so interesting. Circus mermaids? Curses on families? Old books with secrets? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that cover and that synopsis, yeah, this one sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great Diane. Like Kay I was hooked at curses and secrets. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a have to read Diane! Thanks for bringing my attention to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this around a little bit and the premise sounds fascinating! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this book synopsis. I really hope I'm able to read prior to publication, but if not I'll be buying it. Such a beautiful cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds pretty interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, circus mermaids! When I lived in FL I went to Weeki Wachee Springs, which has a live "mermaid" show, in which women dressed as mermaids swim underwater with only infrequent puffs on little air tubes down there-- actually more disturbing than fun for me to watch. I worried about them drowning :)

    I digress...sounds wonderfully eccentric and right up my alley, so thanks for sharing this title.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always drawn to debut books. Love the cover on this one. I've seen the Weeki Watchee Mermaids many times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the combination of family, books and magic

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This one has gone on my list! Love the cover, love the description!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.