Thursday, April 23, 2015

Coming Soon to a Bookstore Near You - A Cure for Suicide; Jesse Ball


This book looked different from anything I've read recently. It will hit bookstores in July
Would you try it?

A Cure for Suicide; Jesse Ball
Pantheon - July 2015

(DESCRIPTION) - From the author of Silence Once Begun—one of our most audacious and original writers—a beguiling new novel about a man starting over at the most basic level, and the strange woman who insinuates herself into his life and memory. 
A man and a woman have moved into a small house in a small village. The woman is an "examiner," the man, her "claimant." The examiner is both doctor and guide, charged with teaching the claimant a series of simple functions: this is a chair, this is a fork, this is how you meet people. She makes notes in her journal about his progress: he is showing improvement, yet his dreams are troubling. One day, the examiner brings him to a party, and here he meets Hilda, a charismatic but volatile woman whose surprising assertions throw everything the claimant has learned into question. What is this village? Why is he here? And who is Hilda? A fascinating novel of love, illness, despair, and betrayal, A Cure for Suicideis the most captivating novel yet from one of our most exciting young writers.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm a little confused I think. Somehow this sounds sort of sci-fi or dystopian. Maybe it's the term 'claimant'. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound intriguing. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd like to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Kay I'm confused. I don't think this would be a book for me. Are you planning on reading it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kya, Suko and Dar - I was just as confused as you were, but something about this, maybe the fact thatit IS so different, makes me want to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.