Tuesday, April 7, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro - I Regret Everything: A Love Story; Seth Greenland

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.

Europa Edition - 2015

(INTRO PARAGRAPH)

JEREMY
Trusts and Estates

"It would be easy to say my troubles began when a mysterious woman walked into the office but that would ignore the time freshman year in college when Aunt Bren called to let me know my mother had removed all of her clothes in the furniture department at Macy's and had been taken to Bellevue. Besides, a sentence like my troubles began when a mysterious woman walked into the office veers into private-eye territory and my work did not in any real way resemble that of a private eye.  As an attorney with a trusts and estates practice, courage and love of danger did not thrum in my breast, only caution and prudence.  Clients relied on me to structure their assets in such a way that by the time they were no longer living, every opportunity had been taken to protect their heirs, charities, and legacies.  Generation-skipping trusts, real estate trusts, blind trusts, wills, codicils, prenupttial agreements, and tax planning were my territory.  I counseled captains of industry, advised widows and offspring.  Life with an unstable parent taught me there were times a person's affairs were a baffling wilderness.  It was my job to tame the anarchic trees, mutating vines, and proliferating stinkweed into a fragrant, orderly garden through which the beneficiaries could one day stroll."

What do you think? Would you keep reading?
(I'm not thrilled with the intro, but the reviews have been very positive)

Feel free to join in by linking your post sharing the first paragraph of the book you are reading or planning to read soon. Link Below.


19 comments:

  1. Great description of a job that is all about caution and prudence....I do want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that opening, Diane! I will have to look for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me this is intriguing. I can't wait to see what this is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has caught me, I like the way he explains his caution, it tells us such a lot in a relatively short amount of words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right about the middle of this paragraph, I was amused by the author's voice. And then it started to drone on about the various estate planning options and lost my interest. I can be so fickle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this! Sounds really realistic for me. Thanks for sharing, Diane! Hope you'll enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't write this morning. OK, again...I never heard will and trusts described quite so vividly. Sigh. More coffee. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like the title or the cover, but really like the intro! I'd keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not much of a memoir reader, but I do like the intro paragraph of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a new one to me. I would probably keep reading or at least check out the inside flap for more on the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the writing in the opening, and I also like the way in which he talks about the intricate complexities of being an estate attorney. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like that intro, Diane... very tempted to find a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would keep reading. I really like the voice of the character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the intro and would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't get past that long run-on first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like the makings of an epic read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.