Sunday, December 13, 2015

Christmas Time and other Celebrations

Well the month is certainly flying by isn't it?  I'm figuring I'm not going to get many more books read by the end of the year, but I would like to try at least one more Christmas book and 1-2 others that I need to read/review.  I've been thinking about my favorite books of the year and need to work on that list as well -- always fun.

Speaking of books, here's (3) new books which came by mail from publishers this week.




(Christmas Stuff) Remember how I said I was done with Christmas shopping a while ago, well, why do I continue to go in stores and pick up a few more things when I hate standing in lines ? The prices and coupon discounts are fantastic - that's why.

This past week we went to one of my favorite outdoor shopping malls - not ideal with New England winters, but this week it was 60 degrees several days. (still not a flake of snow for us).  There weren't any long lines and, I found one fantastic store that supports some 20,000 artisans in developing countries where individuals are paid a fair wage and then in turn bring their unique products to our markets through long term, fair trading relationships. They had lots of unique products including jewelry, accessories and items for the home and garden.

Here are the ornaments I picked up for the (3) granddaughters.

 The cats ornament was made in Bali, the turtle in Vietnam and the sheep in Peru.  Each came with info about the ornament and the artisan.


Yesterday I made gingerbread cookies and later we went to a wonderful Christmas performance. It was a singing Christmas tree choir, brief play and a musical light show.


Today is our annual "happy birthday to me celebration" (it falls on a weekday this year). The tradition for the last 4 or so years has been to take the family to an amazing brunch where Mr. and Mrs Santa are the big attraction for the kiddos.  Hope the little ones are cooperative as last year only the youngest one (6) months at the time sat on Santa's lap.

Have a Great Week Everyone



39 comments:

  1. Love the sheep ornament and the tree choir! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheep ornament goes to the granddaughter that dressed like one for Halloween:)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Diane. Have a fun celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday from all of us!!!

    ><(((º>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm anxious to read Like Family after hearing such good things about it. Might be my first book in 2016.

    Very cute ornaments. I work at an "open air" mall and we've had such a great holiday season with temps in the 60s, too. Unfortunately, the rain has arrived and looks like it will be around for several days. At least it's not icy or snowing, though! But people will continue to shop up until the very last hour on the 24th. Yep, those coupons make it very tempting to keeping spending, don't they?

    Have a wonderful birthday, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I think Like Family will be my first book for 2016 as well.

      Delete
  5. We have a store like that - Ten Thousand Villages - and I love to shop in. I can't leave there without any chocolate.

    Have a great birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My granddaughter would love the turtle ornament. We have two outdoor malls which makes little sense to me since we're in Florida and it's usually hot and humid. It's been in the mid to high 80's, crazy!

    Enjoy your books and I hope you all have a great time visiting Santa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, outdoor malls in FL would be too hot and sticky it would seem.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday! What a great way to celebrate this time of year....

    I love that Singing Christmas Tree...and those ornaments.

    I hope to read a few more books and then post my favorites list, too.

    Enjoy! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. The Singing Christmas Tree will be another one of those annual traditions I believe.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! What a lovely way to celebrate. I love the sound of the shopping mall that supports artisans from all over the world. That sounds like something I could get in serious trouble there! You're new books look intriguing. Have a great week and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine. I will definitely go back to that special store that supports these artisans.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Diane! I'm sure your grandchildren will love those ornaments! Enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, I gave them to them today and they liked them a lot. My youngest granddaughter was a sheep for Halloween so that ornament was perfect for her.

      Delete
  10. Happy, happy birthday and I love your idea of a birthday celebration. Nice that the little ones live nearby and can enjoy this.

    I love the idea of your grandkids' ornaments from fair-trade artisans. When we visited an international gift store in San Diego last month I admired a few ornaments and then my brother (who was visiting at the time) surprised me with one: made by homeless teens in Vietnam, a cross shaped from tiny rolls of recycled paper and varnished-- description doesn't do it justice, lol. It means a lot that it supports a good cause.

    I feel the same way about reading now. Times are busy... but I want to squeeze in a Christmas read and maybe a couple more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, thank you. I so love being retired now and being close to the little ones. Your ornament sounds nice as well, and hostly, I feel in love with so many things in that store. Wish I had more $$$

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Diane... what a great way to celebrate! Sounds like you're having a wonderful holiday season. I want to read Like Family soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn. I hope like Family will be my fits book on the new year.

      Delete
  12. I'm starting to think about what my favorite book of the year as well. The store you found at the mall that promotes local artisans sounds wonderful--my favorite are the cats. :-)

    Happy Birthday! Enjoy the brunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like the cats ornaments - it was my fave as well.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, I love the kitties ornament.
    And the singing tree.....wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, happy birthday, Diane! I love your sparkly photos! I am glad that you've been having milder temps; it does make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Diane, that sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate and I loved all your photos. We are having nice temperatures too at the moment. I keep meaning to say how much I love your header photo too. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes and header compliments as well. (Nothing could compare to your lovely photos - all of them)

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday Diane! Those ornaments are adorable. We've had quite a few booths with the same type of crafts and I've made it a point to support them. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nise - I love to support the businesses that help others.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful celebration

    ReplyDelete
  18. SOunds like a great place to shop! Love the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute ornaments. It's fun buying for the little ones! And a happy belated birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the ornaments and the stories behind them. I must go out tomorrow and finish shopping :( Gage asked Gage by letter and today in person for a wooden train! Seriously, I have no idea where I', going to find one but I'll be out there looking :)
    Happy very belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.