Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Trouble Maker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology; Leah Remini

Ballantine - 2015


Leah Remini is one tough lady: after reading her memoir, the title of this book seemed to fit her well.  

Raised in Brooklyn, NY to parents who were more than a little "rough around the edges",  her father and mother split up when Leah was only 7.  Her father had been physically and verbally abusive and, her mother Vicki wasn't much of a mother either. Neither a cook nor a nurturer, Leah and her older sister Nicole, were ofter left alone. When the sisters complained to their mother was never home she told them they could join her at church if they wanted to see her. She was lured to Scientology by her then boyfriend.  New York Org.,  the local chapter, was located back then in what was the seedier parts of NYC  - Times Square.. The sisters needed to take several subways alone from Brooklyn to get there after school.  The hook for her mother in Scientology appeared to be the promise of food, clothing and housing for mother, daughters.

The family later moves from NY to FL (Clearwater being described as "the mecca of Scientology" at that time). The sisters are indoctrinated into the organization by performing many, many hours of manually labor and heavy lifting and studying what was expected of Scientology members.  Both sisters dropped out of school to spend more time with the group, even if it required severing relationships with family and friends. Church members were required to disassociate with those who were considered to be - SPs (suppressive persons).  With a goal of becoming an actress, Leah eventually moves to LA to pursue her acting dreams with much success but, she remains heavily involved in the church and moving up through its ranks. 

The Church of Scientology is not about God or saints, but rather about helping individuals to "live their life better". I was shocked to read that most church members  (35,000 world-wide) spend at least $500,000 moving to the highest ranks in the church even someone with an annual salary of $50,000 regardless, if they have to borrow the money.  She claims to have given several millions of dollars to the Church over the years. There was plenty of juicy info about her 30+ years in Scientology, until 2013 when she broke with the church after a falling out and in order to protect her own 6-year old daughter.  She outlines how high members of the church have broken their own rules and when she confronted them with their transgressions, they turned each accusation around on her.  She does quite a bit of Tom Cruise bashing as well in this memoir, discussing his preferential treatment, his behavior and her perception that he seemed to be running the church.

The memoir felt very honest. It's written in a way that was both eye-opening and funny as well. Her break with Scientology seemed like both a brave and freeing move on her part.  I enjoyed learning about her acting career both before and after her leading lady role for 9 years on The King of Queen's. The blue-collared sitcom ended in 2007. We still enjoy the reruns several times a week to this day. If you are curious about Scientology, pick this memoir up.

4.5/5 stars
(library eBook)

12 comments:

  1. My son was riveted by this book. My son! A book! He doesn't read but he read this one. My son left the Mormon church a little while ago and he's been fascinated by all religions since then and somehow he picked this book up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this one so I'm very glad to see your review! I like Leah Remini and I've always been interested in Scientology (as in studying it - not joining) since I saw a really terrifying documentary. I'm so glad to to see you really enjoyed it. I'll definitely have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually that sound really interestimg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very fascinated with Scientology and have been dying to get this book. I'm adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would read this memoir for the same reasons mentioned in other comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this on hold at my library since the day after it was released. I'm now #10 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I just checked another local library to see if I could get it sooner and there are 63 people on the list for it there. I think I'll stay where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is high on my TBR list - especially after reading and loving LAwrence Wright's Going Clear. Exposes about wacky religions get me every time! Glad to hear it lived up to expectations for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just put this book on hold at the library! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really interesting. I don't read a lot of memoirs, but I'm curious about this one, Diane. There's just something about Scientology that is so fascinating--the history of it and the hold on the people who follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a little about this book in a recent EW issue. It amazes me how many people fall for cult-like groups, despite hearing plenty of not good stuff about those groups.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am curious about Scientology, but not overly so. I did enjoy the King of Queens and have always thought Leah was a strong woman so I might like this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.