Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sunday Blatherings



Yes, it's another snowless week here in New England - December 20th and not a flake has fallen. The outlook for a white Christmas looks next to impossible as well.  How can this be?
How was your week?  Ours was busy but, still found time to relax and read a bit.  Last Sunday was my birthday brunch with Santa and the day was extra special because we all were together.  The sisters (middle and right) were cooperative and sat on Santa's lap, but the youngest granddaughter preferred to keep her distance this year. 


On Wednesday evening we went to see an awesome Christmas show. The first half was music performed by (12) individuals with a 50's and 60's theme.  The second half the same group performed Christmas songs, many with a rock-n-roll beat.


This week I did something I haven't done in probably 30 years - rediscovered my fondest for coloring books.  I only had tome to color one page but I'm ready for more soon. So very relaxing, and, I love my new gel pens but, I was disappointed that there wasn't a dark brown one in this set.  


Those of you who have begun coloring once again? Do you have any particular markers or pens you like?















We had some sad but not unexpected news yesterday. My SIL's father passed away at 98.  He in his wife (95) lived alone in their condo until 18 months ago when they had to go in a nursing home - both special people.

Reading - Chris Bohjalian's, The Guest Room (so very good).

This Weeks's Plans - a wake, a funeral, making Christmas cookies, cleaning the house and food preparations for Christmas Day when everyone come's over the house.

Has a great week and a lovely Christmas.

20 comments:

  1. What sweet pictures... little girls are so much fun! Sorry to hear about your SIL's father. It's a tough time of year for a funeral, even when it's not a surprise. Enjoy the baking and have a very merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn. I hope your Christmas is extra special as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. Your photos are adorable. I like your coloring book picture too. I purchased a coloring book this year, but only colored one picture. My pencils are Staedtler - Ergo Soft, but I have a couple of less expensive boxes that work well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I need to purchase some colored pencils so I'll try the brand you recommend.

      I hope you have a very nice Christmas.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law's father. How very sad. Especially this time of year--not that any time of year is good. My thoughts are with you and your family, Diane.

    Your family photos are so beautiful. And what a great coloring book! I don't get to color in mine often, and when I do, I'm often coloring with my daughter. She loves my coloring books. LOL I prefer pencils actually, to pens. But then, I haven't really tried pens.

    If it makes you feel better, it's snowless here too (although normal for us). We may get some rain Christmas Day, but I hope it won't be all day. I'm expecting Santa to bring a little someone in our house a bicycle, and I would hate for her not to be able to try it out.

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, thank you for the sweet comments. I do hope Santa delivers the Mouse that bike and that the sun shines Christmas Day so she can try it.

      Have a wonderful Christmas

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your SIL's Father, that's very sad. Hey, that Christmas show sounds like fun. Guess what? Our Mom is getting a few coloring books from Santa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. I guess this coloring books are the latest craze for us older kiddos.

      Delete
  5. I've done some coloring but I'm not too good at it. I bought colored pencils but they're not special ones. I hope to have a coloring party soon.

    Sorry to hear about the death in your family. For some reason, bad news is harder to take this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. It seems for my SIL the holidays always brings bad news sadly. My brother's illness and death, her own cancer bout and the death of her close cousin a few years back as well.

      Wishing you a special holiday.

      Delete
  6. Diane, thank you for sharing the beautiful photos! The little ones are very adorable. I am sorry about the loss of your SIL's father. I wish your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much , the little ones certainly make Christmastime fun.

      Delete
  7. So sorry for the loss! Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    I am surprised too that this winter isn't as cold as it usually is. Oh well, no complaints yet because I am half the world away right now but still...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great pictures! The Santa pictures are always so fun and you never know what you're going to get. So sorry to hear of the loss of your SIL's FIL. So sad even if it wasn't unexpected. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, that is so true about little ones and Santa - every year is a different experience.

      Delete
  9. I am sorry for your family's loss.

    Looks like you had a good birthday brunch though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pic of you and your littles! I received a coloring book from a Christmas exchange and am halfway through my first design. I love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling pictures of those little girls! So sorry about your SIL's father. It's never easy to lose a loved-one, but so close to the holidays is even more difficult. My stepdad passed away on 12/15/13...

    Enjoy your coloring. You would not believe how many coloring books we sell every single day at work!! I must restock the displays at least a half dozen times in my 8 hour shift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.