Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up; Marie Kondo

Ten Speed Press 

I've never been one to hold on to lots of stuff I never use or no longer need. Don't get me wrong I still have several tubs of stuff in the basement , things I've held on to since we moved over 6 years ago and quite a few things in the closet I haven't been able to part with yet. I decided to take a look at this book and see if any light bulbs went off and see if I might inspire my husband to get rid of some stuff in the process.

Japanese organizational and cleaning consultant, Marie Kondo tells readers that if you simplify and organize your house or apartment one time, you'll never need to do it again.  She suggests cleaning/purging by category not by room.  For example, take every stitch of clothing you own from all locations and ask yourself ---- "Does this item give you joy?" If the answer is NO, toss it. While this book did help me declutter my closets and my bookshelves, it left out areas where clutter is sometimes a problem, like garage stuff, tools and the like, although I guess you could easily apply the some of the same principles.

One thing that she suggests that just wasn't me was the concept of "rolling" my clothes - tees, sweaters etc and placing them in drawers. I've been one who irons my tees, jeans and the like and to me, rolling these items kind of defeats the "wrinkle free" purpose.  I did try "rolling" with my workout clothes and will agree that it takes up less space in my drawers, but that's as far as I went with the rolling.

Overall, I think this is an okay book that gives readers some great ideas and will definitely make you want to take a second look at the clutter around your home and get you purging unnecessary items.  It did feel great to donate lots on unneeded stuff.

4/5 stars
(purchase)


20 comments:

  1. Diane, I often roll my clothing when I pack for trips as they take up less room in suitcases that way. The book sounds like it would inspire me to "declutter" a bit. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a clothes roller for years now because I hate ironing. The rolling only worked to a degree though.

    I found this book interesting because her folding method. I've done all but my t-shirt drawer and socks (not sure if I'll worry about the socks!)

    The folding really does prevent wrinkling and it takes up much less space so I can see all the items in each drawer. It takes no longer than the rolling I was already using to put my clothes away. Anything to not iron !!

    The stuff about talking to your house and furniture though lost me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that's the "odd" I was referring to in my last comment. "Talking to me possessions" I don't think so:)

      Delete
  3. It does sound an interesting book. "Does this item give you joy?" I really need to say that when I try to clean out my clothes closet, which I am in the process of doing. I really have a hard time getting rid of clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me, I have no problem purging most clothes I haven't worn in more than a year.

      Delete
  4. I recently starting rolling my clothes when I pack for a trip and they do seem less wrinkled, but I don't roll anything at home. I've been known to iron t-shirts, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the problem - I think Carl needs to get rid of some of his stuff and he thinks I need to get rid of some books! lol I get rid of stuff from my closet pretty regularly.

    I used to be an ironing fanatic but don't do much of it these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL funny Kathy. My husband likes to save old magazines - drives me crazy:)

      Delete
  6. I started reading this one a couple months ago but haven't picked it up since. It definitely set me in the mood for de-cluttering, but I am not sure I buy into everything the author says. I do hope to finish the book--maybe before the year is out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said earlier, I'm glad I read it, but a few things were not addressed or seemed odd.

      Delete
  7. I have the book but haven't read it yet but I saw a tutorial of the rolling method and we've been doing that for years. There are no wrinkles but most of the stuff we put in a drawer are cotton knits.

    My garage is tidied up twice a year but there is so much crap in there. Organized but never used. I would love to just throw it all out and may do that when it's time to put the Christmas stuff away. I am sure I will spend most of my vacation doing this because I am sick in the head that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out a video online since "rolling" seems so popular I'm learning. Guess I should revisit it.

      Delete
  8. Tidy? I shall have to look up that word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a book everyone would benefit from reading. I've never rolled clothes, but my son tried it when he packed his suitcase for our trip to NYC. Surprisingly, his clothes were wrinkle free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'm going to try it now that I've retired and do not need everything crisp these days.

      Delete
  10. I do the vertical folding with my pajamas and workout clothes after reading this one and I do like it partly because it takes up less space and partly because it makes everything easier to see. For the rest of the book I was a little meh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like that it's very easy to see what is in my workout drawer. Maybe I'll dry a few lighter sweaters next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to take a look at this because clutter is a problem for me, only made worse by a 5 year old, but haven't had the time. I'm very good at keeping my closets full of clothes that I love and wear, but the rest of it? I need help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.