Monday, October 7, 2019

A Nearly Normal Family; M.T. Edvardsson


AUTHOR:  M.T. Edvardsson
PUBLISHER: Macmillan Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: Sweden
FORMAT: audio
RATING - 3.5/5

A Nearly Normal Family is a complex family drama and legal thriller that explores how far parents will go to protect their child.  The Sandells have an 18 year old daughter named Stella who has been accused of the brutal murder a wealthy and unscrupulous businessman, Chris Olson, who in his early 30s. How could this be, what is the connection?

This multi-layered story drew me right in as I watched this dysfunctional family begin to unravel bit by bit. The story is told from the POVs of Adam, the husband and father, who is also a pastor. We also get to hear from Ulrika, the wife and mother who is also a criminal defense attorney, as well as the POV of the accused, daughter Stella.

The story was clever and detailed but, slow moving as well.  Stella was a rebellious teen who got away with a lot; her parents desperate to protect their daughter but not the best parents. The trial was enlightening and lead to some unexpected surprises.  I did like that it's a story that gives you plenty to think about, especially since the epilogue answered the questions I wondered about.

Readers who enjoy legal thrillers might want to try this one.

9 comments:

  1. I do like legal thrillers but will have to think about this one since you called it "slow moving."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kathy, I like legal thrillers but don't like books that are slow moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds intriguing. Happy Monday, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're not fans of slow moving, unless it's us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my shelf, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. 3.5 doesn't make me rush to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've also got this one. Think I picked it as a 'Book of the Month' selection. As I have gotten a bit weary of thrillers that all seem kind of the same, I'm intrigued by your description and, for me, sometimes a slower moving story is just what I need. Another blogging friend said recently that when she is in a 'must read all the new books' manic phase, she finds that slowing down her reading and concentrating works for her. It does for me too. So, I'll look forward to this one. Slowly. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like legal thrillers and stories that leave you thinking about them. I might try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in a city which is nicknamed Awesometown. Not kidding. The kids here are the most entitled I've come across and yet money doesn't really have much to do with it. It's the parents and I have fallen into that bucket a time or two myself. For this reason, this story would appeal to me and I'm sure I could relate to that teenager.

    Is it based on a true story?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.